Discuss minor works in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

f1ngerz

Doing a job moving a light and adding one to a kitchen , its not rcd protected , is it ok just to mention that on the minor works cert or do I have to provide rcd protection?:confused:

personally, i would note the lack of RCD on your cert. and advise the client that he should upgrade the installation for his own safety. if you go down the road of RCD protection, you should upgrade the CU to a dual RCD board.

Common sense prevails in amendment 1 (in effect 01/01/12)

[FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold]522.6
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold].7.102 [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]​
Where Regulation 522.6.6101 applies and the installation is not intended to be under the supervision of a
skilled or instructed person, a cable installed in accordance with Regulation 522.6.

6101(v), and not complying with
Regulation 522.6.

6101(i), (ii), (iii) or (iv), shall be provided with additional protection by means of an RCD having the
characteristics specified in Regulation 415.1.1.

An exception is permitted for minor works where the designer is satisfied
that there would be minimal increased risk of damage to the circuit cable due to penetration by screws, nails and the like.
The decision shall be recorded under part 2 of the Minor Works Certificate or the comments section of the Electrical Installation Certificate.

Common sense prevails in amendment 1 (in effect 01/01/12)

[FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold]522.6
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold].7.102 [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]​
Where Regulation 522.6.6101 applies and the installation is not intended to be under the supervision of a
skilled or instructed person, a cable installed in accordance with Regulation 522.6.

6101(v), and not complying with
Regulation 522.6.

6101(i), (ii), (iii) or (iv), shall be provided with additional protection by means of an RCD having the
characteristics specified in Regulation 415.1.1.

An exception is permitted for minor works where the designer is satisfied
that there would be minimal increased risk of damage to the circuit cable due to penetration by screws, nails and the like.
The decision shall be recorded under part 2 of the Minor Works Certificate or the comments section of the Electrical Installation Certificate.

still 13 mths away????

Why would an RCD be needed anyway?

As far as i see, there has only been a fitting moved and an additional one installed in the ceiling.

IMO because there are no new cables buried in the wall (possibly) then there is no need.

I have just been to look at a kitchen refurb and the client has recently had 6 spots installed in the ceiling and nothing else.

The sparky that did the install put a stand alone RCD spur next to the CU for that particular circuit.

ok I have added a 2way switch too so it must be RCD protected right? At present its on the none RCD side of a split load db . Can I just move the circuit over? That would mean just one circuit left on none RCD side ? (up lights). I have my first elecsa assesment coming up and I want to have this as a possible job to show. Thoughts please??

if you move the circuit from the non rcd side, to the rcd side, doesnt this mean a change of circuit protection and so will require a electrical installation cert?

ok I have added a 2way switch too so it must be RCD protected right? At present its on the none RCD side of a split load db . Can I just move the circuit over? That would mean just one circuit left on none RCD side ? (up lights). I have my first elecsa assesment coming up and I want to have this as a possible job to show. Thoughts please??

Only if you have buried the cable less than 50mm and it does not comply with regulation 522.6.6

If you have installed a buried cable <50mm deep you would be better leaving the circuit where it is and using an RCBO,which will mean not all circuits(up lighting excepted) are on the RCD side of the DB.

Reply to minor works in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net