Discuss Mira Advance 8.7KW, very poor water flow rate in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Just been to see a friend who has a Mira advance 8.7 in his flat. Flow rate of the water is terrible, he was saying he had looked online and seen they do 11KW showers and was asking if he could change if for a bigger one.

Does anyone have any experience with the Mira Advance? Is the water flow always ---- poor? It seems really bad for an 8.7KW shower, I usually fit Triton 7.5KW's at work cause we only have 32A supply to work with and they seem better than this.

11KW shower seems a bit overkill to me but i could do it, 10mm T&E feeding the current shower, rm B and only <10M from DB to shower.

I'm starting to wonder if pressure is just very bad :confused: don't want him to spunk £300 on a new shower and have same problem.

Just been to see a friend who has a Mira advance 8.7 in his flat. Flow rate of the water is terrible, he was saying he had looked online and seen they do 11KW showers and was asking if he could change if for a bigger one.

Does anyone have any experience with the Mira Advance? Is the water flow always **** poor? It seems really bad for an 8.7KW shower, I usually fit Triton 7.5KW's at work cause we only have 32A supply to work with and they seem better than this.

11KW shower seems a bit overkill to me but i could do it, 10mm T&E feeding the current shower, rm B and only <10M from DB to shower.

I'm starting to wonder if pressure is just very bad :confused: don't want him to spunk £300 on a new shower and have same problem.
What flow rate and pressure are you dealing with?

In my experience it sounds like his pressure, if it's gravity fed system I think you achieve something like half a bar of pressure for every meter dropped. increasing his shower KW isn't going to make a difference unless your saying its not heating up enough

I'm not sure on what his incoming pressure is like, I'll text him and see what its like on his other taps stuff.

Its an old ex council flat so I guess some of the infrastructure isn't great, think he on zone heating and hot water still hence the need for an electric shower.

I think he knows another lad who is a plumber so maybe he can enlighten us on what the pressure is like coming into the flat.

In my experience it sounds like his pressure, if it's gravity fed system I think you achieve something like half a bar of pressure for every meter dropped. increasing his shower KW isn't going to make a difference unless your saying its not heating up enough
0.1 bar/m roughly, so if hes gravity fed from a loft tank his pressure could be really poor.

10m of head gives about 1 bar, 0.981 to be precise if the water is @4C.
So a 1 meter drop provides about 0.1 bar. Is the cold water tank above in the loft ?

If the OPs friend has mains water supply from Anglian Water then the pressure at his stop tap should be at a minimum of 1 bar.

Purging it will clear the head mate and put some proper pressure through all the pipes.

Edit, if the pressue comes put crap when ypur purging it nothing you will ever do will increase the pressure and Mira will charge you a call out fee to tell you the pressure is not suitable.

Would I be able to test the pressure at the shower 15mm brass compression fitting with something like this? Not sure if the thread will fit.

https://tinyurl.com/y5j84x9k

Purge it. Bottom left of the shower behind the cover is a whiteish button on a metal square part. Try that first to get water flowing and clear any **** in the pipes. There amazing showers.

Thanks! I'll try this, I gotta go round and do some other bits for him soon.

Hi,pressure means nothing,it is flow rate at shower head,which is important. You could have 6000 psi and only get a squirt,every few seconds....(just like a grease gun;))

Any minimum stated supply,from the utilities,has always been in terms of LPM,at first drawing....and it is not usually dazzling.

Also,a great many suppliers have a policy of energy/leak reduction,through the small hours,which involves a supply pressure drop of maybe a bar.

Comedy pairing,of flow issues... but only when all known plumbers are asleep.

Hi,pressure means nothing,it is flow rate at shower head,which is important. You could have 6000 psi and only get a squirt,every few seconds....(just like a grease gun;))

Any minimum stated supply,from the utilities,has always been in terms of LPM,at first drawing....and it is not usually dazzling.

Also,a great many suppliers have a policy of energy/leak reduction,through the small hours,which involves a supply pressure drop of maybe a bar.

Comedy pairing,of flow issues... but only when all known plumbers are asleep.

You are wrong with the minimum supply.

It is always on pressure not litres per minute (the flow per minute is only a guide for people with a jug and stop watch).
There are standards set out buy the government (OFWAT) and they are clear. Water supply companies will then set their own standards which at least have to meet the minimum. These are all in set out in pressure (or head) to the stop tap.

If the minimum requirement from OFWAT was 0.7 bar then it would be impossible (without sucking water from peoples house) that it could be as you suggest "suppliers have a policy of energy/leak reduction,through the small hours,which involves a supply pressure drop of maybe a bar".

You are wrong with the minimum supply.

It is always on pressure not litres per minute (the flow per minute is only a guide for people with a jug and stop watch).
There are standards set out buy the government (OFWAT) and they are clear. Water supply companies will then set their own standards which at least have to meet the minimum. These are all in set out in pressure (or head) to the stop tap.

If the minimum requirement from OFWAT was 0.7 bar then it would be impossible (without sucking water from peoples house) that it could be as you suggest "suppliers have a policy of energy/leak reduction,through the small hours,which involves a supply pressure drop of maybe a bar".

Hi,no my friend,in the instance i cite,it is yourself,who is incorrect.

Your first error,was reading my post as stating 0.7 as a minimum supply pressure. I do not.
You will see i state "pressure drop of...",which is correct,and they do,and i have the email statement from United Utilities,who supply our locality,if you need it.

The suppliers who adopt this method,and yours may not,are very cagey about sharing this information. It indeed,took a lot of back and forth,including their fitting of data monitoring device,for a week.

This showed the deviation in supply pressure,a reduction being measured in the time period mentioned - on the minute.

The minimum supply pressure,as stated by WRAS and the other groups,is 9LPM at 10M head.

If you require any other information or data to corroborate my post,please feel free to ask. It is considerably more friendly,than "you are wrong" :)

Reply to Mira Advance 8.7KW, very poor water flow rate in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock