Discuss Mira SE Electric Shower Water Connection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've installed a Mira SE shower. My query.

The instructions indicate a vertical rising or a falling pipe connection. I connected in a horizontal direction.

As the shower connector swivels I can't see a reason to have it only in a rising or falling type connection position, except in the instructions there's an X through the horizontal position, but the instructions say to "rotate the inlet connector to suit the direction of the incoming water supply."

I haven't commissioned it yet (water or electrical) and thought I'd ask for advice from others who might have installed one.

Thanks in advance

I've installed a Mira SE shower. My query.

The instructions indicate a vertical rising or a falling pipe connection. I connected in a horizontal direction.

As the shower connector swivels I can't see a reason to have it only in a rising or falling type connection position, except in the instructions there's an X through the horizontal position, but the instructions say to "rotate the inlet connector to suit the direction of the incoming water supply."

I haven't commissioned it yet (water or electrical) and thought I'd ask for advice from others who might have installed one.

Thanks in advance

I can't think of any reason plumbing wise why a horizontal inlet would matter.

One possible reason for the rear entry cross would be that the manufacturers instructions state that the unit should be fixed to the wall before tightening the compression fitting.

Mira sport showers you cant easily tighten the nut if it's rear entry while it is fixed to the wall.

From my admittedly patchy memory some showers also had an issue where the cover / tunnel wouldn't fit properly over the fitting in this position.

One possible reason for the rear entry cross would be that the manufacturers instructions state that the unit should be fixed to the wall before tightening the compression fitting.

Mira sport showers you cant easily tighten the nut if it's rear entry while it is fixed to the wall.

From my admittedly patchy memory some showers also had an issue where the cover / tunnel wouldn't fit properly over the fitting in this position.
Thanks, Mainline & Ferg,
I had a little slack on the pipe and could put the connection on loose with my hand. I then marked the wall and undid the connection and drilled the holes. I was able to reconnect and fit the shower. I was also acle to get spanners on the connection and tighten so I'll go ahead and finish.
Much obliged.
Thanks again.

Had this exact same query when I installed a Mira shower many years ago. I had access to the rear of the wall, so easy to connect the water supply to the shower and slide it back into the wall. However, I was puzzled as to why the instructions said not to connect in horizontal plane, so I rang their customer "helpline". I was passed to a "technician" who told me that if I connected it that way it would invalidate the warranty. I asked him "why" it wasn't allowed to connect it that way, but he doggedly repeated that it would invalidate the warranty because it was contravening the instructions. I suggested that the shower wouldn't "know" from which direction the water was coming...up, down or straight through, and anyway, if you installed it coming up, or down, the water would turn through a right angle in the connecting elbow and enter the unit horizontally, but this approach didn't seem to compute. OK, it may often be difficult to connect horizontally due to the position of the unit and the wall as @ferg mentioned. In my case it was easy. Maybe Mira say not to use this method simply because the installer might find such a difficulty and if the wall was all tiled then drilled for the water supply, electrical supply and the case fixing screws, the unit might have to be moved, leaving extra fixing holes in the wall. This could easily catch out someone less experienced. If that's the case, they should say horizontal supply is "not recommended" due to possible difficulties making the final connections. That would flag up a possible problem, and be quite useful to some folks. However, to "prohibit" that method is simply daft. To state that doing so would invalidate the warranty is dafter still. I'm delighted to say that the shower worked perfectly for several years until a re-styling exercise meant a new shower, and thankfully all the fixing screws and water supply inlet etc were the same, except for one fixing screw which was about an inch out but was covered by the casing.

Reply to Mira SE Electric Shower Water Connection in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net