Discuss Missing grommets in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

skiandy

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi,

What are people coding missing grommets on Galv backboxes. I was thinking a Code 2. This makes it a fail now as the Electrical Safety Council recommend that you put "unsatfactory" if there Codes 1 or 2. 80's the orignal wiring checks out with the other tests.

Andy

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
W

WarrenG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi,

What are people coding missing grommets on Galv backboxes. I was thinking a Code 2. This makes it a fail now as the Electrical Safety Council recommend that you put "unsatfactory" if there Codes 1 or 2. 80's the orignal wiring checks out with the other tests.

Andy
If the cables are sheathed probably a 'code 4' - ' Does not comply with BS7671'

S

Spudnik

Sorry chaps but could one point out the specific reg for this?

As long as the sheath enters the box before the conductors are visible then its fine.

Its good practice to fit them but if they are missing it doesnt warrant any code at all.
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
R

randyrat

Are we talking surface mounted boxes, or buried in wall types? If they are surface mounted they have to be non-penetrable by a BS standard finger.....

W

WarrenG

As long as the sheath enters the box before the conductors are visible then its fine.

Its good practice to fit them but if they are missing it doesnt warrant any code at all.
Possible regs 522.8.1 / 522.8.11 although can't say I have coded it before.

S

skiandy

Ok guys thanks for your reply, when I did my 2391 we were all told that it was a code 2 by the instructor. The boxes are burried in the wall cable is double insulated where it enters.

Andy

T

Tiger

Try leaving them out on your inspection, don't think you will be passing somehow:D

G

Guest123

Hey there.

I have to admit I've always coded them as 2. I was taught this also, and Mr NIC said the same at my last inspection.

Cheers.

S

Spudnik

Try leaving them out on your inspection, don't think you will be passing somehow:D
I did and i did.

Only on one tho.

Typical he chose that one, but he just confirmed what i said earlier.

Reg 522.8.1(if we are being really picky) does not specifically say that they must be used.

"Failure to provide a grommet whare a cable, such as a twin and cpc flat cable, enters a metal black box is not, in its own right, a deficiency, providing the cable sheath is adequately protected against damage from any sharp edges."

Last edited by a moderator:
W

WarrenG

LOL.......like it! :D

Reply to Missing grommets in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom