Discuss Missing grommets in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

skiandy

Hi,

What are people coding missing grommets on Galv backboxes. I was thinking a Code 2. This makes it a fail now as the Electrical Safety Council recommend that you put "unsatfactory" if there Codes 1 or 2. 80's the orignal wiring checks out with the other tests.

Andy

Hi,

What are people coding missing grommets on Galv backboxes. I was thinking a Code 2. This makes it a fail now as the Electrical Safety Council recommend that you put "unsatfactory" if there Codes 1 or 2. 80's the orignal wiring checks out with the other tests.

Andy

If the cables are sheathed probably a 'code 4' - ' Does not comply with BS7671'

Sorry chaps but could one point out the specific reg for this?

As long as the sheath enters the box before the conductors are visible then its fine.

Its good practice to fit them but if they are missing it doesnt warrant any code at all.
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we talking surface mounted boxes, or buried in wall types? If they are surface mounted they have to be non-penetrable by a BS standard finger.....

As long as the sheath enters the box before the conductors are visible then its fine.

Its good practice to fit them but if they are missing it doesnt warrant any code at all.

Possible regs 522.8.1 / 522.8.11 although can't say I have coded it before.

Ok guys thanks for your reply, when I did my 2391 we were all told that it was a code 2 by the instructor. The boxes are burried in the wall cable is double insulated where it enters.

Andy

Try leaving them out on your inspection, don't think you will be passing somehow:D

Hey there.

I have to admit I've always coded them as 2. I was taught this also, and Mr NIC said the same at my last inspection.

Cheers.

Try leaving them out on your inspection, don't think you will be passing somehow:D

I did and i did.

Only on one tho.

Typical he chose that one, but he just confirmed what i said earlier.

Reg 522.8.1(if we are being really picky) does not specifically say that they must be used.

"Failure to provide a grommet whare a cable, such as a twin and cpc flat cable, enters a metal black box is not, in its own right, a deficiency, providing the cable sheath is adequately protected against damage from any sharp edges."

I did and i did.

Only on one tho.

Typical he chose that one, but he just confirmed what i said earlier.

Reg 522.8.1(if we are being really picky) does not specifically say that they must be used.

"Failure to provide a grommet whare a cable, such as a twin and cpc flat cable, enters a metal black box is not, in its own right, a deficiency, providing the cable sheath is adequately protected against damage from any sharp edges."

fair enough, i wouldnt be that lucky. Ive had some right jobs worths

No code required then. :) The cables are in plaster and can't go anywhere. I still believe its poor practice. I have a printed copy of the ESC PIR Codes and there is nothing written about it. That's why I checked here. :D

Andy

Its good practise to fit them during installation
If there are none on an existing installationm and there is no sign of damage then there is no code
What are you people thinking when recomending a code for something like this You would probably incur more damage trying to have them fitted than ever would occur otherwise
Start thinking for yourselves instead of being guided blindly without common sense

Its good practise to fit them during installation
If there are none on an existing installationm and there is no sign of damage then there is no code
What are you people thinking when recomending a code for something like this You would probably incur more damage trying to have them fitted than ever would occur otherwise
Start thinking for yourselves instead of being guided blindly without common sense

If you read my post correctly you will see that I was told by my NICEIC inspector at my last inspection to code missing grommets as 2. Despite what I think I have to comply otherwise Mr NIC goes back to head office with a reccomendation for a another inspection in 6 months which then costs me, and if I still dont do it he goes back to head office again with a reccomendation for removal from the role of approved contractors.

Also there is nothing wrong with my thinking, and I have plenty of common sense.:mad:

People come on the forum for advice and guidance in situations that they may be unfamiliar with.

I dont think there is any need for posts like this.

Its a discussion, not an ear bashing.

Reply to Missing grommets in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock