Discuss Missing grommets in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

What are you people thinking when recomending a code for something like this You would probably incur more damage trying to have them fitted than ever would occur otherwise
Start thinking for yourselves instead of being guided blindly without common sense

Maybe you could provide a full list of official PIR codes to eliminate any confusion?

It doesn't mean that people are not thinking for themselves because they are asking what other electricians would do in a particular situation. This is what the forum is all about.

Common sense should tell you that posting comments like 'start thinking for yourselves' to qualified people isn't going to go down very well. :mad:

Maybe you could provide a full list of official PIR codes to eliminate any confusion?

It doesn't mean that people are not thinking for themselves because they are asking what other electricians would do in a particular situation. This is what the forum is all about.

Common sense should tell you that posting comments like 'start thinking for yourselves' to qualified people isn't going to go down very well.

My sincere and humble apologies for the way the reply came over

In all honesty it wasn't meant to slag off or demean anyone

My snap reply was meant more to encourage the individual to assess the current danger, rather than code the bad practise which I believe may cause greater danger when trying to rectify (The think for yourself line was not justified when reread by myself )
I am far from being a know it all and enjoy giving an opinion and recieving contrary opinions
Sorry for any offence to any of the previous contributors

I did and i did.

Only on one tho.

Typical he chose that one, but he just confirmed what i said earlier.
:)

Reg 522.8.1(if we are being really picky) does not specifically say that they must be used.

"Failure to provide a grommet whare a cable, such as a twin and cpc flat cable, enters a metal black box is not, in its own right, a deficiency, providing the cable sheath is adequately protected against damage from any sharp edges."
"in its own right"--of course meaning alternatives are also acceptable,why not bring the conduit into the box?De burring might work.The problem is that when the circuit is put into use,the cable can heat up causing the sheath to become softer and the sharp edge can then cut thru to the copper.I was told that this was a code 2.Repairing decorations etc should not come in to it.On your inspection report you have to tell it the way it is.Repairing the deficiencies is a different kettle of fish.

I agree, however, i have seen many installations where they have not been used and they have all been ok, but i have seen some that are not, mainly due to three t&e's in a back box, which makes it more tricky to get the faceplate back, but i do understand what you are saying.

Another one of those fab grey areas that we all love.:D

I agree, however, i have seen many installations where they have not been used and they have all been ok, but i have seen some that are not, mainly due to three t&e's in a back box, which makes it more tricky to get the faceplate back, but i do understand what you are saying.

Another one of those fab grey areas that we all love.:D
:rolleyes:
Indeed. Maybe if the manufactors of metal back boxes gave us the option of a suitable 25mm oval knockout it would make things easier. Though I only use round conduit myself.

Reply to Missing grommets in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock