Discuss mixed wires in conduit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

olimazi

DIY
Reaction score
hey guys, I ran 2 sets of #12 wire in conduit.
One end I had the sets separated and taped - terminated to 2 gfci outlets.
The other end I forgot to tape and I don't know which 3 wires (black, white, green) go to which outlet.
What's the easiest way to identify which set of wires should go to which outlet?
cheers

Join one set of wires together at one end. At the other end test for continuity between them, the ones which show closed circuit are the ones which are joined together.

Remove the joint before turning the power on.

I only have a passive meter... the run is 100 ft., battery may not work... how do I connect the battery per single wire
Dude, Strima just told you twist the pairs together at one end and put your continuity testers at other end doesn’t matter about the length of run if it beeps you have your pair if it don’t then you don’t have correct pair. Simple stuff this surely you knew this

Connect the battery across two wires, the bulb at the other end will illuminate when you have the corresponding pair.

What bulb and battery should he use westward? Lol think he needs more detail or will a AA battery with 500w Halogen be ok? ?
For the benefit of @Grant1987 trying to be a smart --- you should use a lamp and battery of corresponding voltage but the lamp being of a wattage not to cause a volt drop over 30m which could cause insufficient illumination.

For the benefit of @Grant1987 trying to be a smart --- you should use a lamp and battery of corresponding voltage but the lamp being of a wattage not to cause a volt drop over 30m which could cause insufficient illumination.
Haha, no need to bite think the guy posting needed bit more detail, you’ve now provided it ?
[automerge]1599255477[/automerge]
Haha, no need to bite think the guy posting needed bit more detail, you’ve now provided it ?
Also you’ve been a smartarse in many of my posts

hey guys, I ran 2 sets of #12 wire in conduit.
One end I had the sets separated and taped - terminated to 2 gfci outlets.
The other end I forgot to tape and I don't know which 3 wires (black, white, green) go to which outlet.
What's the easiest way to identify which set of wires should go to which outlet?
cheers
@olimazi I’m hoping that you have a meter and make sure no power is present and take the wires loose on both ends and 1 wire at a time hook it to ground then go to the other end and put your meter on the OHMS setting and read each wire to ground One at a time and mark it and so on. Everyone makes mistakes but just make sure it’s a learning experience. Let us know how it goes and good luck

Dude, Strima just told you twist the pairs together at one end and put your continuity testers at other end doesn’t matter about the length of run if it beeps you have your pair if it don’t then you don’t have correct pair. Simple stuff this surely you knew this

He's DIY, give him a break.

The big giveaway was DIY after his name but credit for the apology.
Y'all have been very helpful, one more question.
When I manage to identify the correct black and white wires to each outlet, does it matter which ground wire goes to which GFCI outlet, or do I have to match the grounds to the proper outlet also (keep b/w/g together) - since all the ground go back to the same bus bar in the main panel?

Y'all have been very helpful, one more question.
When I manage to identify the correct black and white wires to each outlet, does it matter which ground wire goes to which GFCI outlet, or do I have to match the grounds to the proper outlet also (keep b/w/g together) - since all the ground go back to the same bus bar in the main panel?
Yes I would keep them together.

Reply to mixed wires in conduit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock