Discuss MK consumer unit SPD's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

In theory an mcb already kind of has arc protection
Yes but MCBs are not going to make billions of pounds profit for circuit protective device manufacturers.

I'm surprised they haven't recommended auto-reclosing RCDs in dual RCD boards to prevent 'vulnerable people' being left in the dark if an RCD trips. Think how much money they could make there...

Yes but MCBs are not going to make billions of pounds profit for circuit protective device manufacturers.

I'm surprised they haven't recommended auto-reclosing RCDs in dual RCD boards to prevent 'vulnerable people' being left in the dark if an RCD trips. Think how much money they could make there...
They are saving that for the next update or 19th.

I need to agree that the domestic 'get out' for SPD fitting is fraught with danger (for us). We should fit them. I agree that we don't need to fit under the domestic [value] clause but NAPIT are advising that refusal (by the customer) is listed on the cert. If a surge does happen and the insurance company gets involved they will probably try to get out of paying due to this - or the customer will sue us for the damage because we didn't fit one. Just take care with advice / documentation if you or the customer chooses not to. I just fitted my first 18th Board with SPD and type A RCDs (RCBO's)- the SPD added only £60 to the cost and that included the mcb protection (Lewden).

I don't think this can be construed as just a recommendation:-

"Protection against transient overvoltages shall be provided where the consequence caused by overvoltage could:

(i) result in serious injury to, or loss of, human life, or
(ii) result in interruption of public services and/or damage to cultural heritage, or
(iii) result in interruption of commercial or industrial activity, or
(iv) affect a large number of co-located individuals.

For all other cases, a risk assessment according to Regulation 443.5 shall be performed in order to determine if protection against transient overvoltages is required. If the risk assessment is not performed, the electrical installation shall be provided with protection against transient overvoltages, except for single dwelling units where the total value of the installation and equipment therein does not justify such protection."

Given the cost of SPDs and the cost of the installation and connected equipment within a typical home these days, I think arguing it's not economically justified to fit one is pushing it a little.

It's not just about writing a risk assessment is it? You have to complete the equation and get a satisfactory answer >1000

Last edited:
A Fusebox SPD kit is just £30 these days and if a customer can't be convinced to spend the £30 to protect a four figure sum's worth of equipment then I'm not sure I want them as a customer.
At least with amendment 2 it's as simple as "ok, sign here that SPD was advised and you are declining one".
And whether they do any good or not they do make the consumer unit look more exciting!

Reply to MK consumer unit SPD's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net