Discuss MK Grid switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Any one use these ? have been asked to avoid using sfs's as they are ugly !
It will need to isolate 2 under counter fridges, washing machine about 2.5M away and extractor fan
4M away.
Question is: is this ok as part of kitchen ring in 2.5 t&e or should it be a 4mm radial ?
I would run them into fused flex outlets behind the appliance.

Ideas, questions, comments please

regards

pat

Aren't double pole MK grid switches only rated at 20amps max, I would run separate 16amp or 20amp radials in 2.5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
We use grid switches quite a lot in kitchen installs.

We normally do them as part of the kitchen ring.
Do the fridges and washing machine have plugs on them ?
If yes, then you dont need a fused outlet, just a socket outlet, as the plugs have a fuse inside.

Hope this helps,
Best regards,
Sav

1 20amp radial then get a MK grid fuse carrier for the fan to fuse it down to 3amps, Just link out the supply sides of the grid switches.

I think it may not be clear that you are intending to use a central location for the functional isolation of the appliances, I believe MK do a range of switches that fit in their grid that are pre labeled ie fan, fridge, freezer, microwave etc.

I like to cut the plugs off new appliances and watch the clients face :eek:
it allows more room behind them hence the fused spurs.

I was going to place the grid switch within the ring, looping between each switch with 2.5 mm stranded, and then take each switched feed in 2.5 t&e to the appliance via a fused spur.
It would appear that this is ok.

I like to cut the plugs off new appliances and watch the clients face :eek:
it allows more room behind them hence the fused spurs.

I would be very very careful about cutting factory fitted plugs off new appliances.
This can void the warranty !!!

Sav

why go to the bother of cutting off plugs when you can put a socket in the cupboard next to the appliance Putting a FCU behind means you still ahve to pull unit out or am I missing something ?

doing a job at the min for balfour beatty and also wates that has this writen in to there spec that says we have to do this loop the ring in to the dp switch and use as a 20 amp switch
our specification in leeds for the council use 20A switches for the fridge and washers of the ring
but if you want you could get a 8 grid and put fused moduels under the switch to bring the rateing down as you will need this if you cut the plugs off as there will be no fuse

Im current installing some in some kitchens. They are quite good just make sure if you have 4-5 grids that you use a deep double as they can be quite tight with all the cables in there.

Reply to MK Grid switches in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock