Discuss MK Masterseal RCD sockets - won't reset. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Timbo

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I was wondering if anyone else has had problems with these sockets not resetting. I have a client with three of them for the purpose of servicing air handling units. Rarely used but just will not reset. Installed 5 years ago.

Regards, Tim.

Do all three of them fail to reset or is it just the one?

The literature suggests they will trip (and I'm guessing not hold) if there is no supply, so it may be worth checking the supply is in good order and on.

Edit:- Scratch that assertion... they come in two flavours... trip on mains failure (active) and no trip on mains failure (passive), but I would still check the supply to ensure it's OK.

Nothing plugged in.

Supply good - 241v L-N, L-E.
All 3 on one radial final circuit.
All failed.

I was doing EICR and came to test them - nothing doing.

I'm just going to quote for replacing with BG ones. Only thing is they are slightly narrower and it is surface conduit.

Had some MK RCD sockets fail in the past, was an unmanned site and they were never tested. All of them would trip and not reset, I just ended up replacing the lot, was four of them in total.

These were the metal clad ones but I would guess the gubbins are the same inside.

I might be showing my stupidity here, but is it possible there's a fault on the circuit itself? i only say this because just before Christmas, me and another lad were sent to replace a dozen or so at a factory, and the first one we did tripped. So we swapped it with another, that tripped. We went and did the others on different circuits and had no issues, that one, which was the only RCD socket on that circuit tripped every time.

We reported it and not sure if its been sorted or what the outcome was if it has been, this post just reminded me....

I 500v ir tested an rcd socket a while back and it didn't work after, I know it was working before because I was using a lamp plugged into it. Luckily I was upgrading the circuit to rcbo protection so it only cost me a replacement standard socket.
Must admit to now being nervous about testing when usb sockets are used and tend to link them out (to give a true ir reading of the conductors and to avoid any potential damage).

[QUOTE="marconi, post: 1347093, member: 87486]Have IR tests been done recently?
[/QUOTE]

No. Went to check RCD operation and no deal.
No one would have been near it with an IR tester since EIC in 2012.

I wonder if you have a broken incoming conductor at the first socket, perhaps through over-tightening causing a fracture or, simply a loose grip by the screw and the conductor has sprung away from making contact in the terminal.

Or, a break somewhere between the first socket and the DB or in the DB.

Last, could you measure the N-E voltage at the DB please and tell us the type of supply ie: TT, TNCS or TNS.

A simple trial would be to take one of the four sockets, wire it to a 13 Amp plug and then plug in to a serviceable socket.

@Timbo . What was their specific job with air handling .
Is it possible the environment has affected them ie in a swimming pool plant room.
External location - partial roof over area, provided for use of service personnel for lead lights, vacuum cleaners etc.

Reply to MK Masterseal RCD sockets - won't reset. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net