Discuss MK to discontinue comsumer units in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Just read online that MK are to discontinue the Sentry consumer unit range.
Blaming issues moving from 17th to 18th edition.
I didnt realise MK used siemens technology inside there protective devices.
MK have been going down hill for a while the prices they charge I would unless an offer is around always go for Hager.

Not sure what this means in future for getting mcbs etc for existing boards? Might pay to get a couple of mcbs of each rating soon just to ensure you got a stock.

Used to fit loads and loads of MK boards as the company I worked for got a good deal on them.
Part of me is sad to see that MK is to stop producing consumers units but the reality is that no one seems to fit them anymore.

Used to fit loads and loads of MK boards as the company I worked for got a good deal on them.
Part of me is sad to see that MK is to stop producing consumers units but the reality is that no one seems to fit them anymore.
Screwfix stocked their stuff but no proper wholesaler seemed to anymore.

Personally I've been unimrpessed with Mk for a number of years now. I used to buy SafetyPlugs for some jobs, but on two of them the terminal screws sheared off whilst doing up. The boards seemed to get a bit flimsy. And the sockets irritate me - I find the terminal screws a bit too small and a bit too recessed for my liking (and somewhat soft) - yet they still demand top dollar for them. The likes of Hager and Click sockets have nice big terminal screws, easy to get purchase on.

However I hold on to SafetyPlugs of the older era like they're gold dust now!

Not sure what this means in future for getting mcbs etc for existing boards? Might pay to get a couple of mcbs of each rating soon just to ensure you got a stock.

There's no reason why MK would stop production of existing MCBs.
There's no additional expense involved in continuing production whereas to develop new items like AFFD / SPD costs a considerable amount and presumably Siemens didn't want to partner with MK.

There's no reason why MK would stop production of existing MCBs.
There's no additional expense involved in continuing production whereas to develop new items like AFFD / SPD costs a considerable amount and presumably Siemens didn't want to partner with MK.

I doubt that MK actually make the MCB's, they will be made by Siemens with MK artwork. I don't know if MK have ever actually made their own MCBs
The older sentry board mcbs were made by Merlin Gerin and the LN boards before that were made by Siemens.

I have been surprised with the price of the twin rcd consumer units at £66 on Screwfix I think they are pretty good value. As for MK quality I think the competition has caught up or exceeded but MK isn’t interested in catching up price wise. That being said I still recommend it for higher spec clients.

I have been surprised with the price of the twin rcd consumer units at £66 on Screwfix I think they are pretty good value. As for MK quality I think the competition has caught up or exceeded but MK isn’t interested in catching up price wise. That being said I still recommend it for higher spec clients.
Personally I wouldn't particularly consider the MK boards as great quality products. As I say, I would opt for Hager every time.

Got a rare hager board yesterday after reading this thread, must say I was very impressed with it. Only let down for me was the square knockouts. I know they give grommet strip with it but round would just be easier.

Genuine question here...
why are the knockouts square? Is it for trunking?
Can you just cone-drill them round? instead of knocking them out...

Genuine question here...
why are the knockouts square? Is it for trunking?
Can you just cone-drill them round? instead of knocking them out...
I don't really know, I'm going to say it so that you buy square ones off hager rather the using your standard round ones from the van that fit every other board

Reply to MK to discontinue comsumer units in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock