Discuss Moaner in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

cliffed

-
Arms
Reaction score
i know I'm a old git,but here's one for you,been quite cold lately,got some youngsters working with us,nice & warm in the offices,when it's brekkie time,I always sit in my van,especially if it's cold outside.The lads also sit in their van,but switches the engine on,to get warm.
Me,I put on another layer of clothes,so...the vans are on tracker so they know what's happening,back at the yard,does anyone care.
In my day we just wouldn't do that,wasting diesel etc.
Last year in 30°heat,a lad sat in his van,I went over to him & said why have you got the engine running,wound down his window,I've got the air conditioning on,am I mad to get frustrated ha ha

i know I'm a old git,but here's one for you,been quite cold lately,got some youngsters working with us,nice & warm in the offices,when it's brekkie time,I always sit in my van,especially if it's cold outside.The lads also sit in their van,but switches the engine on,to get warm.
Me,I put on another layer of clothes,so...the vans are on tracker so they know what's happening,back at the yard,does anyone care.
In my day we just wouldn't do that,wasting diesel etc.
Last year in 30°heat,a lad sat in his van,I went over to him & said why have you got the engine running,wound down his window,I've got the air conditioning on,am I mad to get frustrated ha ha
Jeez, how many vans do you need for one site? in my day 1 van blokes crammed in the back making up pendants, and it was a Mini van;):rolleyes: Out of interest cliffed what time is "brekkie"?;)

Yeah same here,I do remember,no heater,no spare wheel,no jack,no radio,didn't have much did we,35p @ hr,oh I say !!!

Yep,helluva lot of respect for the old timers then,even though most were only wire men.Never late to be picked up,no stopping on the way to work for food & drink.

Yep,helluva lot of respect for the old timers then,even though most were only wire men.Never late to be picked up,no stopping on the way to work for food & drink.
Brekkie is 10.00am to 10.15 am,can't open my flask in that time

I recall we used to sit round an electric 4 bar fire in the site hut, which doubled up as a sandwich toaster. But it was murder when you went back onto the freezing site. That vid of the Japanese monkeys in the hot springs winter time, always reminded me of that.

When I was nearly out of my time I was working with an Electrician on a housing site, first job in the morning was to look for oil drum and off cuts of timber, at about 09:45 get a fire going in the drum, after knocking air holes in it to toast or butties, remember no doors or windows int these houses yet, like you say difficult to get up after all that comfort.

I bet,bolster & hammer chopping out boxes,hitting ones cold knuckles.
Kids got it so easy now & they still moan bout that job.
I now say I'll do the chopping,you do the wiring,they soon change their minds.

When I was nearly out of my time I was working with an Electrician on a housing site, first job in the morning was to look for oil drum and off cuts of timber, at about 09:45 get a fire going in the drum, after knocking air holes in it to toast or butties, remember no doors or windows int these houses yet, like you say difficult to get up after all that comfort.
Definitely brrr....

Yeah same here,I do remember,no heater,no spare wheel,no jack,no radio,didn't have much did we,35p @ hr,oh I say !!!
what a moaner. a bloody van??? luxury. we had to go to work on pushbikes. tea break sitting on an upturned beer crate covered with the plasterers' droppings, kettle filled from the cauldon canal, stench of the slaughterhouse down the road flavouring our sarnies.

I bet,bolster & hammer chopping out boxes,hitting ones cold knuckles.
Kids got it so easy now & they still moan bout that job.
I now say I'll do the chopping,you do the wiring,they soon change their minds.
Going home bleeding knuckles, freezing cold, sud this for a game of Soldiers, get up in the morning, same thing. Now they have bolsters with guards, gloves to protect their little soft hands. Sorry.:p:imp:

what a moaner. a bloody van??? luxury. we had to go to work on pushbikes. tea break sitting on an upturned beer crate covered with the plasterers' droppings, kettle filled from the cauldon canal, stench of the slaughterhouse down the road flavouring our sarnies.
Aye things were tough in our days Tel,

Yankee screwdriver and rawplug jumper.

By ‘eck, we had it tough! Ya tell the kids of today, and they won't believe ya.

Fingers to numb to put the plug in the hole, bits of Breeze block down yer shirt, snow on the joists, drilling hole in the joists with hand auger, mind you saved on Gym fees

Reply to Moaner in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock