Discuss Mobile DVR Powered From PC PSU? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pete87

Hi, am looking for advice on powering a mobile DVR for a car from a pc power supply, I have seen/read this being done with a car stereo. The connections I have are "9-28VDC" "engine switch" and "GND", would I be right in saying that the 9-28VDC and the engine switch will go to the 12v out let from PSU and the ground will go to the ground from PSU would this work?, I have fuses in place on the engine switch and 9-28VDC,
I need to put a fuse on the GND (just waiting on them to arrive) as stated in book. if anymore info/pics is needed I will upload.

Thanks Pete

Pic of wiring on DVR
uMTLb4.jpg

This it what I have connected on the PSU
9Vrzj8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
what is the rating of the dvr for a start?

why don't you buy a proper psu?

if you dont know what your doing this would be a lot better.

usually other than the 5v rail on a psu is turned off till some pins are shorted out on the 24pin connector

sorry the rating was on the picture that was trying to upload (I have now mange to upload them).
the DVR is for a car so it has a 5 pin (2 for camera output), is there anything to convert a plug to a 12v output if what is it called I cant find anything that does it?.
am not 100% sure if it is ok that's why I came here for some advice, I have put a pic in the first post of the pins that I have connected to turn the PSU on and it power no problem, an just not sure if the PSU and the DVR will be ok running 9-28VDC and the engine switch from the same 12v Molex from the PSU?.

Reply to Mobile DVR Powered From PC PSU? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net