Discuss Modular sockets like this one…. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Been asked to fit a few double sockets. In a cupboard, but he wants the same as others in the house… they are unswitched, on numerous radial circuits… (kit house, imported from Germany and assembled here)
I can’t find anything similar. ( didn’t take them off to find a maker)
3B1A3B16-D7A5-449A-8E79-4A8AC3626C45.jpeg

Same house. They have a small gymnasium and their treadmill, when first plugged in, Trips the 16A breaker for that room of sockets… not the main rcd. Reset the breaker, and treadmill works fine from there.
Start up current? Might change the type from B to C

The consumer unit is huge.

BCF9F69A-C22F-41AD-B029-E438FA027FAE.jpeg

Can't say I've ever seen sockets like that - is that centre screw just holding the cover on, or is there some weird back box built into the wall?

There are a few screwless ranges that have grey inserts to the sockets, though most of them are switched

This is Knightsbridge, but BG Nexus have one that's similar...

SF9000BCG.JPG

Otherwise might be able to make something up from one of the modular grid ranges - I know at least one of them does a single socket fitting as a module.

The only unswitched ones in chrome I've found are the Schneider Lisse but they only have white or black inserts.

I'd say the trip is almost certainly start up current - any reason the breaker can't be uprated to 20A which would be normal for a radial? Might depend on how the cable is run insulation wise and what cable they've used though..

Very strange. Do they meet BS standards?

Surprised they are unswitched - bit of a backwards step.

Very strange. Do they meet BS standards?

Surprised they are unswitched - bit of a backwards step.
German kit home. I’m surprised they are 13A sockets to be honest.

Reminds me of the sockets fitted in touring caravans… I might be looking in the wrong industry

I haven’t mentioned the 3 out of 7 wall lights that aren’t working. Found them online, Italian designer… £300 a pop!

Interesting. Can a satisfactory EICR be issued on one of these if they are fitted with non approved accessories? What cable are they wired with?

Interesting. Can a satisfactory EICR be issued on one of these if they are fitted with non approved accessories? What cable are they wired with?
I’m sure the sockets are built to BS just without the switch. I didn’t notice if there was any around the house with a switch at all.

I didn’t take a socket off, so I don’t know wiring type, but there appears to be orange flex coming out CU. Will check

7D79AE85-4375-4AA5-9EC7-30F86E061B23.jpeg

Note the single retaining screw in the centre. This is as per Schuko sockets. I'd bet there's a round European back box behind that as opposed to a British square/rectangular one. I'd imagine these are made and distributed in Germany from a specific supplier (for example, you can buy Schuko sockets to fit British boxes here from CPC). I'd say contact the house manufacturer as above. The DB is as they use in Germany too - especially the radial thing.

I took one of the sockets apart, but there’s no brand name on them.
I’ll just find uk sockets that look the same colour.
0BD1D0CC-E294-46B7-BE39-D8163EAFC232.jpeg

The treadmill problem, I changed the circuit to a 20A mcb, but couldn’t get the same type. Again, must be European sourced, but the uk version fits perfectly.

864E5815-0BA1-422B-8D4A-5B18E3B16178.jpeg

The MBS116 on the left came out the consumer unit… don’t know how you’re supposed to unscrew the connection with the little plastic tab over the screw.
The UK MTN116 on the right for comparison.

The outgoing terminal is a push fit… with a maximum of two cables. The release is a plastic button is place of the cage screw.

E2BEF2FA-CEE1-46A5-A3D5-D4C8FEE917CD.jpeg

View attachment 96822

The treadmill problem, I changed the circuit to a 20A mcb, but couldn’t get the same type. Again, must be European sourced, but the uk version fits perfectly.

View attachment 96823

The MBS116 on the left came out the consumer unit… don’t know how you’re supposed to unscrew the connection with the little plastic tab over the screw.

The outgoing terminal is a push fit… with a maximum of two cables. The release is a plastic button is place of the cage screw.

View attachment 96824
Never seen these before. Interesting...

Called it! That's a German back box.
View attachment 96822

View attachment 96823

View attachment 96824

View attachment 96822

View attachment 96823

View attachment 96824
No part numbers anywhere? I tried the 8020G8(B) visible in your image, but it lead nowhere.

Interesting.

Found a video which shows some sort of quick fit busbar being used on a 3 phase equivalent - though the tab was broken off for connecting a neutral. I guess if the tab is broken off you know it may be a "used" breaker, so might be handy if buying from an unknown seller...

I was wondering how they would be listed on an UK EIC or EICR, but google suggests they are to IEC/EN 60898-1 which is direct equivalent I guess.

So would the BS EN standard allow for push fit connectors already maybe, just that so far noone has taken the plunge to market them here?

Reply to Modular sockets like this one…. in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net