Discuss Modular Wiring Installation Unit Hour in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am currently tendering for a new build office block which is to be a modular wiring plug and play installation on all the floor plate areas, I currently use EES data for estimating and we find that their unit hours are acceptable for sockets,conduit etc however there are no products or unit hours for estimating modular wiring installations. The system works via a home run cable feeding an MDB then the MDB feeds LCMs via pre wired copex inc plugs M/F with leads which vary from 1m,3m,5m,7m, 10m, 12m and 15M.

Can anyone help with the unit hour I should apply for these leads ? I was contemplating using the weight of 4cx2.5mm SWA p/m to come up with the rate for each lead?

Does anyone have any thoughts ? Any assistance would be much appreciated!

Sounds like yet another one of those doomed to failure modular wired systems, thats going to restrict usage of the building to what the designer envisaged the offices would need. The amount of times i've seen these types of modular systems literary left totally abandoned, in favour of a typical replacement surface installed system, that can be easily adapted and added too, to suit the changing requirements of modern offices and office buildings....

I may have thoughts on the subject if I had the slightest idea what you are talking about.

How does the weight of a length of 4c 2.5 SWA cable relate to a unit hour of an unspecified commodity?

A unit hour could be:
KWHr
Therm/Hr
Gallons/Hr
Meat balls/Hr

With two posts in nearly five year, I’ll not hold my breath waiting for a reply.

A unit hour is a decimal labour time which when multiplied by the labour rate gives you the unit rate £, perhaps you are not used to pricing in this manner therefore that's why you are unaware. It's applicable to SWA as the number of cores is the same.

Done a few modular installs over the last few years but never had the joy of pricing for one, are you pricing for labour only?

For the home runs it's pretty much the same as pulling any cable in so price it as you would on a conventional system, same with the power circuits but the lighting circuits are usually more involved with the lcm boxes and messing about with lead lengths and always having to neatly loose the extra length on every light but again it's pretty much like conventional so same as the home runs really and make sure you allow time for the messing about, I've never used the program your using either so not sure on exactly what to suggest to use to get your unit price

Reply to Modular Wiring Installation Unit Hour in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net