Discuss Mole Drilling in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gravid

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hey up, got a submain to run under a private road and a few of the residents are kicking off about having a trench dug. Just wondering if anyone has used this mole drilling or moling i think it's called.
Whats the crack? Can you hire these things or do you have to have a firm out? and most important whats rough cost? In the northwest if anyone can recommend an outfit that does this.
Cheers.

Gravid, its not soemthing you can do yourself, you will need a moling contractor!, its costly, expensive and risky!, Moles are notorious for smashing drains, rupturing gas mains and ripping PILS cables out of the ground!, get a contractor in and let them take the liability for it!!

cut a 4 inch channel in the road an lay a 4" pipe in the ground at the right depth - mechanical protection - you will only have to did a small part of the road up at a time and that can be put back in less than 24hrs - do it yourself - if you get the council to put it back it will take 2 weeks.

What I dont get is why are you installing a sub main - aint that the job of the DNO?

Your right!! there's a man hole right in the way as well, was thinking long as i go deep enough i'd be alright. Client and builder reckoned you could hire them and i don't want to lose the work, just googled moling contractor and got a local number i'll give them a bell tomorrow get a price. Cheers.

cut a 4 inch channel in the road an lay a 4" pipe in the ground at the right depth - mechanical protection - you will only have to did a small part of the road up at a time and that can be put back in less than 24hrs - do it yourself - if you get the council to put it back it will take 2 weeks.

What I dont get is why are you installing a sub main - aint that the job of the DNO?

Digging up the road is definately not going to happen, even though that would be the cheapest option. As far as submains goes I've done loads that have never involved the DNO, at least i think i have. Are they called something else now a days?

DNO = Electric Board

i for one is very interesting in this mole thingy, i come accross them fitting new gas pipes near where i live.. looks pretty cool, apart from the pipe is about 6 inches from ground level.... which is uncool...

I,ve had them on jobs in the past,ok in clear soil but if they hit anything solid they go off and can end up anywhere(heard of one that veered off and ended up in the mersey!) the way to limit the risk is first you use a cat to locate any pipes or cables mark their locations on the road.Then use a mole with a transponder and as it goes along you track it from above using a cat.quite complicated if you are not familiar with it I know a chap who does it called Warrior trenchless solutions based in widnes,as others have said get someone in to do it if you hit something it could wipe out your profit better let someone else take the chance,horses for courses and all that.

I,ve had them on jobs in the past,ok in clear soil but if they hit anything solid they go off and can end up anywhere(heard of one that veered off and ended up in the mersey!) the way to limit the risk is first you use a cat to locate any pipes or cables mark their locations on the road.Then use a mole with a transponder and as it goes along you track it from above using a cat.quite complicated if you are not familiar with it I know a chap who does it called Warrior trenchless solutions based in widnes,as others have said get someone in to do it if you hit something it could wipe out your profit better let someone else take the chance,horses for courses and all that.

Never seen a mole machine without a control transponder, that's how they control the direction and depth the things take, and how you get them to exit in exactly the right location...

Never seen a mole machine without a control transponder, that's how they control the direction and depth the things take, and how you get them to exit in exactly the right location...

early gas board ones just connected to a compressed air line and basically you made a hole in the direction you wanted it to go and away it went when it came out the other end you took the hose off and dragged it back through the hole,think it was called a grundomat if my memory is correct.

early gas board ones just connected to a compressed air line and basically you made a hole in the direction you wanted it to go and away it went when it came out the other end you took the hose off and dragged it back through the hole,think it was called a grundomat if my memory is correct.

How many years are you going back?? lol!! I can remember as a teenager watching the Eastern Gas board using a controlled mole to bring a new gas supply from the road, into my parents house during an estate wide upgrade. They couldn't use a point and hope for the best system, as the gas meter position was set. As far as i remember it was a trailing lead control back then...

How many years are you going back?? lol!! I can remember as a teenager watching the Eastern Gas board using a controlled mole to bring a new gas supply from the road, into my parents house during an estate wide upgrade. They couldn't use a point and hope for the best system, as the gas meter position was set. As far as i remember it was a trailing lead control back then...
Far as I know they still use them round here for short service runs.

Reply to Mole Drilling in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net