Discuss Money grabbing training centre in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Drew34

Time for a rant so will try and keep it short.
Whilst chatting to other people doing the 2365 level 2 practical assessment today I couldn't believe what I was being told.
The centre had told a number of people that no prior experience was needed. Fine but the only workshop time they had was half a day for some tray work.
How can they be expected to crack on with out being shown?
I spent half the time helping everyone else.
£3000 and for what?
Had a chat with staff after and was told it didn't concern me as I knew what I was doing.
Fuming:mad:

Thankyou for sharing .
(Even school age College (funded HE) ,can have some " Check your level of Patience " moments , built in to reduce class size ! )
Regular staff changes ... etc

this is why when any one asks me about training I always recommend college learning if an apprenticeship isn't available or possible. I looked into "fast track" learning centres and even with my electronics and ELV cabling experience I wasn't thrilled at what I saw. When the money questions come before experience/ability questions it throws up warning signs.
I'm to old for an apprenticeship and it's looking like employment options will be interesting when I finish my level 3 in May.

Hi Dave
It's all wrong.
People are trying to better themselves but are falling for the sales pitch of these training centres with false promises.
I'm one of the lucky ones who had contacts in the trade so finding work wasn't an issue.
I'm definitely doing my level 3 at college.
Good luck with your level 3 mate

They've been at it for years and some of us have been saying it for years. Generally, those setting up and funding the courses have nothing to do with the trade involved. They regard themselves as clever businessmen with plans to make quick bucks out of a failing system.
Stop gap repairs to a once great trade...and who is it down to for giving them the opportunity to do so?......and still being able to continue.
It's getting worse and nobody seems to care.

I have long thought the quickest way to a comfy and early retirement is set up a trade training business in Bath or Bristol as there doesn't appear to be one around here. do the usual basic electrics and part p nonsense, a few bricklaying and plastering courses, maybe a handy man course at a few grand per student for a months worth of courses you could make a very healthy profit. you hire in people from trades to teach the stuff who maybe are at end of careers and semi retired. and watch the money roll in. but then i have a conscience so maybe not.

I have long thought the quickest way to a comfy and early retirement is set up a trade training business in Bath or Bristol as there doesn't appear to be one around here. do the usual basic electrics and part p nonsense, a few bricklaying and plastering courses, maybe a handy man course at a few grand per student for a months worth of courses you could make a very healthy profit. you hire in people from trades to teach the stuff who maybe are at end of careers and semi retired. and watch the money roll in. but then i have a conscience so maybe not.
I think the reason I get on well with my college tutor is he has experience from all areas, enough letters after his name to fill an A4 page and appreciates that not everyone sitting there is a novice.
I'm in a class with 15 others with little or no experience (except doing Level 2) and I'm frequently told not to answer the questions lol.

Many here have served a 4-5year apprenticeship and I think is very sad that trainees who want to come into the industry get treated as meal tickets, I also think it is wrong for these fast track schemes to be allowed to run. Many youngsters for years haven’t wanted to go into construction instead preferring to go into IT or warm office jobs. Who can blame them if you can earn as much or more and not freeze your nuts off in winter working outside or on sites. The powers to be gone on about skills shortages yet do nothing constructive to turn it around in a proper way. Instead go for a quick fix solution of trying to plug the holes when the dam is already failing.
Rant over good luck you 2 in your level 3

Many here have served a 4-5year apprenticeship and I think is very sad that trainees who want to come into the industry get treated as meal tickets, I also think it is wrong for these fast track schemes to be allowed to run. Many youngsters for years haven’t wanted to go into construction instead preferring to go into IT or warm office jobs. Who can blame them if you can earn as much or more and not freeze your nuts off in winter working outside or on sites. The powers to be gone on about skills shortages yet do nothing constructive to turn it around in a proper way. Instead go for a quick fix solution of trying to plug the holes when the dam is already failing.
Rant over good luck you 2 in your level 3
Totally agree, those of use who are retraining have no option but to take the classroom training, in my case college, then either go it alone or find someone willing to help in assisting with experience.
Many of the ones who chose to go into office based IT are now realising the error of their ways. The industry is bloated with everyone who has read a copy of micromart and 15, 20 years ago when they were promising jobs and wages of £35k+ per year are finding themselves on barely more than minimum wage.

Sounds like another give me a few grand and we will make you an electrician in no time training course. They will promise you the world if it means some poor sod will part with a lot of cash. The truth is that there is no fast track way of becoming an electrician in a few weeks or a few months it takes years. My college had every student sign a form that clearly stated that completing the C&G 2365 level 2 and level 3 diplomas will not make the student a qualified electrician and that the student will need to secure a job within the industry to further there knowledge to gain experience before they will be able to complete the NVQ level 3 and AM2 assesment to become qualified.
We all knew what we would achieve and what we would get from the college before we parted with any money.

Yep, the trouble is not only the fast track learning courses. Not they're fault really, everyone is on the make, they have found a nice earner with these electrical part P scams etc. Give us £500 and your a electrician. The college's should have said more, but until they add they're voice to, wait a minute we produce real electrician's, nothing will be done.

I studied the 2365 level 2 & 3 course at Trade Skills 4 U which cost £7500 plus. In all honesty the training was fantastic! They had incredibly knowledgeable tutors who where willing to help everyone and explained things well in good time, even going the extra mile to stay after-hours when needed. I think it depends on your college, some are better than others but equally cost much more.

I studied the 2365 level 2 & 3 course at Trade Skills 4 U which cost £7500 plus. In all honesty the training was fantastic! They had incredibly knowledgeable tutors who where willing to help everyone and explained things well in good time, even going the extra mile to stay after-hours when needed. I think it depends on your college, some are better than others but equally cost much more.

Crikey that is a lot though!

How long was the training?

Doing the same qualifications at a college would of been considerably cheaper no?

As I posted in another related thread when most of the members on here started out it was the local F.E college we went to now all these training centres have started up that operate as a business. I would be interested to know what the differences are today between both types of education establishments.

I guess with all these courses it comes down to time and money, for some they will get courses cheaper at a normal college due to age. but for mature students it might only be possible to do 2 weeks on 2weeks off etc as they have existing jobs or family commitments and need to work to pay for the costs involved to retrain. On the one hand you have to commend and encourage people entering the industry but also warn them to research courses carefully.

Crikey that is a lot though!

How long was the training?

Doing the same qualifications at a college would of been considerably cheaper no?
The course lasted around 8 months (two weeks on, two weeks off).
It was a lot of money, and I know other colleges offer the course at a cheaper price. Like I say, it's the tutors which make the difference, going the extra mile where needed and having exceptional knowledge.

( I have wondered if some local F.E colleges - are blighted by staff loss to the fast money schemes )
- Irritating when you see a good lecturer leave ,and get a crap one in their place .

I think the fast track course should exist but only for experienced people. I'm sure we all know Electricians mates or labourers who have been in the industry for years who are considered as good as an Electrician.

our college building was wired by our tutors, tjhey even BOASTED about their apprentice level wiring skills.

dont think there was a single outlet that was level or secure, cables hanging out from suspended ceiling. no effort made with trunking work

Reply to Money grabbing training centre in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net