Discuss Money versus Safety in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

edelec

I recently installed a new ring main and lighting circuit to a new house extension, priced the job off plan and first fixed before getting access to the house.I now find there is no equipotential bonding to the gas and water, which under part P we are obligated to update, but the owner refuses to pay for it! This will take the best part of a day plus materials, (10mm not cheap), so it looks like I will be losing out. In these situations we should have some back up from NAPIT, IECC etc, when working with builders you dont always have all the info on hand when quoting!:mad:

The owner has you by the balls- you can't now really walk away from this unless you immigrate. Put down to expensive experience.

.I now find there is no equipotential bonding to the gas and water, which under part P we are obligated to update

Oh dear, this is why I always visit the job first before quoting, & you are obliged to to install the equipotential bonding (if it's missing) under BS7671 not part P.

It does sound like you've had your pants pulled down here! Not an awful lot you can do either. In your position I would ask the builder you do work for to make a few basic checks on your behalf, such as the bonding, every time he is going to require your services. Not much help for this particular job, just grin and bare it i'm afraid, but at least you should keep his business coming and hopefully be more informed for future jobs.

I recently installed a new ring main and lighting circuit to a new house extension, priced the job off plan and first fixed before getting access to the house.I now find there is no equipotential bonding to the gas and water, which under part P we are obligated to update, but the owner refuses to pay for it! This will take the best part of a day plus materials, (10mm not cheap), so it looks like I will be losing out. In these situations we should have some back up from NAPIT, IECC etc, when working with builders you dont always have all the info on hand when quoting!:mad:

Don't want to sound daft:confused:

But how do you first fix without getting access to house???????????:eek:

I'd just put this one down to experiance and say it will be 120 in future if its missing.Try and get him to pay for the cable on this 1 maybe

Last edited by a moderator:
As Adam says, in future, always provide your quote / estimate but add in that bonding is a requirement and if found to be missing or defective then such work will need to be carried out in addition to the quote at a cost of £--- before the works can be completed and signed off.

If I were you and the customer refused to pay for works necessary to complete the job then I'd advise that I am unable to connect up the new wiring as to do so without equipotential bonding in place would be in contracention to the regulations and would also mean the works can't be signed off. I'd connect everything up as much as I could without actually making live and then present my bill with a small reduction to reflect the fact that there was slightly less work involved and an explanation stating that as soon as bonding has been installed I will return to connect up the new wiring.

If the customer refused to pay it would be court action. Simple as that. The court would find in my favour and the verdict would back up my stance that I will not flout the regs and will do things by the book.

I know you may get work from this builder and you may value a local reputation but do you want to be marked with the reputation of someone who will do work for free? At the end of the day your reputation is about reliability, honesty and safety and all you're doing by standing your ground is showing that you don't cut corners and do everything by the book.

can you fill out the test sheet as unsatisfactory therefore failing the installation and then put you reasons in the extent and limitations box.

i would definatley finish the job then when testing it give him the cert with unsatisfactory on. :D

if he then wants an electrical installation certifcate he will have to get the work done.

i do think you have made a major **** up though by not having a look inside the house before quoting for the work.:eek: supposing he had an old rewireble bs3036 board would you have left that in as well.:confused:

i know people who have quoted over the phone before now:eek::eek::eek: i always have a good look at any job before i quote for it.

Reply to Money versus Safety in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock