Discuss moral or legal issue? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Guest111

Just been to a friends house today,havent seen him for a while anyway his daughter who lives next door to him had a kitchen fitted in 2010 and its a right mess,they are arguing with the installers who cant get it right but heres one they asked me about.They had a 600mm electric cooker in a chimney breast and at the side was a 400mm worktop,above this was a twin socket an fcu for extract fan and the cooker switch.Now in its place is a 1000mm cooker and the switches are now above the burners,to operate them you have to lean over the hot stove.If it was me fitting the cooker I,d have moved the switches as they now present a hazard,anyone help me out from a regs point with this as they want me to have a word with the installers (a well known company) going to pull them on no certificates anyway but wanted to be clear on the above.as you know I was mostly industrial before I retired so any help appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
recommended distance from edge of hob is 300mm. this is in building regs. rather than BS7671, but also, BS7671 says that electrical accessories should not be placed where subject to detrimental external influences. e.g. heat.

so from what you say they have left existing socket and cooker switch, does this mean they have not altered the circuits so would not need a cert not ideal position though, i get your point or have they done other stuff electrically in the kitchen.

well if they didnt issue any certs they're not going to give a crap about a regs no. for socket positioning.
was moving the skt / switch part of the agreed works ?
was the installer aware that a bigger cooker was going to be fitted ?
why should the installer discuss anything with you , an unknown party ?
sounds like you've got less than half the story to be honest.

They have installed extra sockets and under counter lighting in the property and made a pigs ear of it.The lady has spoken to a customer services manager who has asked her to get someone else to look at the job and then let him know what they consider wrong as at the moment it seems that the only person who has seen the job is the subby who fitted it and this manager wants a report off someone independant before he comes up from wherever head office is to see it himself so due to other problems health issues etc she is going to ask him to liase with me on what is to be done about it.

The 300mm is only a recommendation in the guide to the building regs but it is common practice (for some!), it is not actually mentioned in the regs or approved documents, you could try 522 suitable for external influences of heat.

If the work is all poor then that comes under the good workmanship part of the building regs. (which the socket could do as well)

Is this now a gas cooker ? If so then isolation is not really an issue, however the heat thing is still there, not really a biggy if its not that close to the burners.
Judgement call.
If its an electric cooker, oh dear. Common sense prevails here

Shame that sink and cooker distances from sockets are one of the few things that are left to common sence and due to people like this we stand to lose this grace. Think of the mess we would have then when designing.

Reply to moral or legal issue? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock