Discuss More than 1 electric shower on campsite in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Been to look at a job today, it is a campsite that has a few water main pressure shower. The client wants 2 or three electric showers installed in the washarea. The washroom is supplied by a 16mm swa which splits into two d.boards. Each board has two immersion heater and two lighting circuits. The client wants 2 showers off one of these boards. I feel that two showers let alone three will have a demand two great as being a campsite could mean the chance of the showers being used at the same time is quite high. Does anyone have any suggestions apart from a new supply as b/b have several showers. The shower rating would be as low as possible?

Could you not persuade him to put one on each board? ....... Given everything else being ok....... It's down to load really, as there's no discrimination allowed for 'instant water heaters' i.e. electric showers.

I assume this is a 230 volt supply. What size is the main fuse ? The 16mm cable what size is that fuse/MCB ? How many pitches does the site have? Is there sufficient water pressure for these showers ? As the toilet block already seems to have stored hot water could a pump shower with mixer not be utilised?

yes it is a 230 volt supply, i am unable to clarify what size is the main fuses until tomorrow. I have discussed the option of a pump shower but they reckon the water pressure is not good enough. I do feel it is a no go with out renewing the supply due to the demand. Putting one on each board may be a alternative though.

Yes but you will still have 2 extra loads on the SWA coming in, You could fit a little single enclosure off each board but won't alter the fact that your restricted by the main fuse capacity and the SWA capacity.

To pump the hot water he'd need to have bigger CWC fitted, normal size is 110l and for a pumped shower to be fitted this would have to be changed for a 220l. if its straight off the mains well thats a whole new ball game, you would need written permissions ect and specific draw.

As for the electrics, as people have said it depends on the main fuse but if its got 2 immersion heaters and 2 lighting circuits then thats at least around 44amps draw depending what lighting you have??? Cant think of much diversity to be applied cause when you use the shower the immersion heaters will kick in once you'ver drawn a bit of water off and you'll need to see what your doing....

I'd bet an option of more immersion heaters feeding (via gravity) a few more showers would be the better option...

due to the lack of info on the rating of the proposed showers, my suggestion is a 5 gallon jerry can up the nearest tree. bit of rope and a suitable fulcrum.

A jerry can would be a simpler option. I believe the showers they want is 7.2kw or lower which these days is not that easy to find. I think realistically i am only going to be able to fit one additional shower. Thanks for all your responses i think i already knew this was a non starter unless i upgrade there current electrics. This is unlikely as they see this as a temporary measure for the summer as they are rebuilding next year.

Sorry Apollo I think I must have missed where the OP gave us the existing hot water capacity??

Malcolm,

It doesn't matter what his hot water capacity is. he would need a bigger Cold Water Cistern if the Hot water cylinder feeds a pumped shower. I bet it was not installed to feed one so would therefore be too small. Its a safety feature. I was just trying to give the OP a bigger understanding of the whole situation.

Reply to More than 1 electric shower on campsite in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net