Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss More than one circuit on breaker in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Richard3009

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I have found in my house on the downstairs ring main that three lives are terminated into the 32A circuit breaker, two are for the ring main as you would expect; the third is for a socket below the fuseboard, to all intents and purposes its just a spur and electrically wise its sound.
Just wondered how this stands up with regs having three conductors in the breaker.

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
W

wet string

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
my understanding of the regs, from memory mind, is that a spur can originate from a termination at a socket outlet, a junction box or at the origin of the circuit.

S

Stixicus

yes, would agree with wetstring - it is acceptable to have a spur on the circuit from the consumer unit in this way.
Never done it on sockets, but it is a good way of adding an outside light on a lighting circuit if there are no spare "ways" in the consumer unit.

would agree with the other replies if all the cable calcs work out.

what size cable is supplying the single socket??

then i would see that individual socket as more of a radial being served directly from the breaker in this way and i wouldnt have a 32 amp radial on a 2.5 t/e :confused:

R

Richard3009

why?????? maximum load 26A no different to a spur,

if i was designing a circuit being fed from an mcb directly to a socket irrespective of what other cables were in the mcb already i would see that circuit as a radial, not a spur.
26a cable and 32a breaker :confused:.
i see where your coming from spurring from existing socket etc etc but not from board.
just my opinion ;)

R

Richard3009

the regs permit it, any spur is a single 2.5mm cable protected with 32A breaker

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Richard3009

its not a radial, you can't have more than one double 13A on it, a radial you can providing the conductor size is correct for the potential load.

didnt mean you tiger, was asking richard. ;)

dont forget Ib has to be equal to or greater than In when selecting a cable richard.

point me to the correct reg and i will stand corrected :confused:

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers

Reply to More than one circuit on breaker in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom