Discuss mortgage retention advice for current installation upgrade in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

walkthenrun

Hi guys,
i need to carry some work out to get my house to pass its mortgage retention, i had a mate from napit come round and do a electrical installation inspection condition report, as one of the retention on my mortgage is due to the old electrical installation. at the moment there is a 15 way merlin gerin consumer unit. I have identified all the circuit apart from one 15A breaker. anyway i was hoping to change the current unit to rcbo's i think this is probably the best thing at the moment considering the size of the house so if anything does go rong i can localise the problem more easily. guys i have come for advice as i dont know which unit to buy? am i doing the right thing by going for rcbo's. i need something that will allow me have at least 13 different circuits. the only thing i have found upto now is a Wylex 11 way Consumer Unit Type NH1104 that i could put 11 circuits on. The immediate advice my friend give me was to condition report was to update the consumer unit so that the shower is rcd protected, the lights in the bathroom are ip65. the supply to the summer house and the pond shed is in swa cable. is it possible to just take the current consumer unit and swap it directly for an 11 way rcbo consumer unit. would everything carry on working as it is working perfectly now.
i have identified each circuit as follows
1. annexe consumer unit and outdoor floodlight consumer unit (60A) (10mm cable and 2.5mm)
2. cooker (50A) (6mm)
3. upstairs sockets (32A) with two fuse spurs in garage from ring final in above main bedroom (2.5mm)
4. downstairs sockets (32A) (2.5mm)
5. 15A?
6. 5A lights in boiler room (G), garage(G), utility(G),main bathroom(U), small blue room(U), hallway(U), pink room(U) and kids room(U) G-ground U-upstairs (1.5)
7. shower (50A) (6mm 8.5kw shower clipped direct to wall)
8. main bedroom (U) and ensuite lights (U) (5A) (1.5mm)
9. kitchen(G) dining room(G) sitting room (G) and toy room lights (G) (5A) (1.5mm)
10. boiler (5A) (1mm)
11. Pond shed hager consumer unit (60A) (10mm)
12. summer house volex consumer unit (60A) (10mm)

some pictures are included thanks

main consumer unit

main c.u and outdoor lighting c.u

pond c.u

summer house c.u

annexe c.u

thanks in advance for your immediate advice if any more pictures are required please let me know thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really sure what your problem is there is a multitude of choice in larger CUs. Screwfix do a 15way Crabtree for around ÂŁ90. But this work is notifiable anyway so just tell your electrician what you want and he will source suitable parts. To be honest you are not going to save very much (if anything) by buying yourself and having someone else fit AND TEST it.

as you have had an EICR done, what code C1 and C2's are on the report? if none, then the EICR should be sufficient to get the lenders to remove the retention.

Looks like you already have RCD on one board so you will need a delayed type if you intend to use RCBO to feed that. This could limit your choice of CU.
TBH its a fairly big install, why not let the sparky do the leg work as if i was doing the upgrade i would be looking at all the DBs to ensure i had the appropriate MCB ratings / RCBO ratings for cables and as much discrimination as i could get which may involve reducing the size of some.

First off, what does this mortgage retention mean by ''old electrical installation'' From what i can see, i can't see a problem with the type of wiring. What did your friend come back with as far as the condition report, ...was there any code 1's or 2's highlighted?? If there isn't, i can't see how the mortgage company can maintain that retention order!!

Whoever installed the MG CU's didn't scrimp on costs, and will still probably be better than anything in the present Domestic market CU's ranges... lol!!

yep. just get your spark to rectify any code C1 and C2 's. then send a copy of the certs. to the motgage sharks.

Hi. If you took the Amp ratings from MCB’s, I would be well interested to know in circuits 1, 2, 7, 11 and 12, what size of cable they protecting especially for shower 60A, it has to be a hell of a shower and a hell of a cable…..and then cooker 50A, that would be a very powerfull cooker???

Al

is #7 a 50A. not too clear from the pic.

that's what i thought. don't think they make a 60A, but 63A as next up from 50.

Not really sure what your problem is there is a multitude of choice in larger CUs. Screwfix do a 15way Crabtree for around ÂŁ90. But this work is notifiable anyway so just tell your electrician what you want and he will source suitable parts. To be honest you are not going to save very much (if anything) by buying yourself and having someone else fit AND TEST it.

my mate who came to do the report has asked me to do the following changes he said a wylex twin rcd consumer unit should be sufficient as an upgrade to offer protection for the circuit within the house, so i will be buying it and installing it and he will be testing it and signing it off when its complete

yep. just get your spark to rectify any code C1 and C2 's. then send a copy of the certs. to the motgage sharks.

there are no code 1 or code 2's however there are code 3 recommendations such as putting an rcd on the shower circuit, having ip65 lights in the bathroom rather then a standard gu10 fitting, i guess i was thinking im planning on living here for the next 30 years and that i would love the experience of taking it all apart and renewing the installation replacing it for rcbo's if i can get it to a modern standard that meets regs and will last

my mate who came to do the report has asked me to do the following changes he said a wylex twin rcd consumer unit should be sufficient as an upgrade to offer protection for the circuit within the house, so i will be buying it and installing it and he will be testing it and signing it off when its complete

Do you have any test equipment. You could be asking for lots of trouble if you haven't.

These MG breakers are mostly type 2 using the older ratings, the shower breaker is a newer type B unit, and is a 50A unit!!
So yes they are 60A breakers rather than 63A. MG did make 32A as well as 30A type 2 breakers for a good while too, just to confuse things further!! lol!!

First off, what does this mortgage retention mean by ''old electrical installation'' From what i can see, i can't see a problem with the type of wiring. What did your friend come back with as far as the condition report, ...was there any code 1's or 2's highlighted?? If there isn't, i can't see how the mortgage company can maintain that retention order!!

i believe they were my words "old electrical installation" not the mortgage companies, the installation address was a remortgage and unfortunately the last owners spent nothing at all on upkeep, so the mortgage report said that electric, gas, defective rendering, pointing etc would all need to be fixed before they would release the 10,000 they are charging us interest on that they will not pay till the work is complete. so the new boiler has been installed, the defective render has been cut and beaded, needs rendering, and now i am trying to do the electrical installation as i have complete level 2 and am currently studying level 3 and working as a mate. i believe they just want a certificate to show the installation is safe, i dont think anyone will give me a certificate till the board has been updated till it has at least rcd, but then im thinking if im going to all that cost anyway why not spend the extra hundred quid and fit rcbos instead.

Hi. If you took the Amp ratings from MCB’s, I would be well interested to know in circuits 1, 2, 7, 11 and 12, what size of cable they protecting especially for shower 60A, it has to be a hell of a shower and a hell of a cable…..and then cooker 50A, that would be a very powerfull cooker???

Al

bear with me im going to remove the cover and post a picture of cable sizes

These MG breakers are mostly type 2 using the older ratings, the shower breaker is a newer type B unit, and is a 50A unit!!
So yes they are 60A breakers rather than 63A. MG did make 32A as well as 30A type 2 breakers for a good while too, just to confuse things further!! lol!!

We use Merlin Gerin Type C60HB's and in the catalogue I have it goes from 50A to 63A

Reply to mortgage retention advice for current installation upgrade in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net