Discuss Mortgage in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Evening all, just wondered if there are any contractors here who have recently got a mortgage and who they are with and any issues etc.

Just been turned down by Post Office as I've only been using my ltd company on and off for past few years rather than 3 straight years. Nevermind that I can prove I can afford the mortgage etc.

Been in touch with a broker but they want nearly a grand for the privilege of sorting me out. Any help appreciated, surely I must be able to sort this without a broker or daft fees like that.

Ben

Unfortunately you are in the category where lenders need to see proof of income and some organisations are less flexible than others.....

We had a similar issue a few years back and our long standing mortgage provider wouldn't help us at all .... so I turned to Lloyds Bank (where I have my business account) and they were far more helpful..... we have been with them now nearly 4 years.

How come you've only been using your ltd company "on and off"?

Sorry is this isn't very helpful

You're subprime if you're self-employed unless you have a massive deposit. Speak to some actual financial advisors in your area and they may be able to put you right with a good bank manager or other lender.

I've been on agency/direct jobs and then go on to a blue book job where you have to be employed by the company so made the ltd company dormant for a while. The thing is I'm earning a lot more than I would be if I was employed, never out of work and often turn jobs down, got a good financial track record etc and a decent size deposit from selling my house.

Looks like its the broker route

^^ I hate to put a dampener on that strategy, but our previous mortgage provider had also been the holder of our joint account and principle credit card - 20 + years of never being over drawn meant nothing to them......

Santander, been with them for years even before it was Santander. They won't touch me. What really grates me is that we, the tax payer bailed out these bankers (I'm sure there's a better word for them) and they still won't lend us our money back!

I'll try give L&C a call tomorrow thanks.

OP unfortunately, a few years back the Banks :)p) were handing out mortgages like confetti. Nowadays there's restrictions on them, and their financial advisers.

Just paid off my mortgage, that I've had in one form or other for over 40 years. Had a couple of nightmare scenarios over the years, one where a financial adviser from a large assurance institution, was a crook who signed us up to multiple life insurance on the pretext of getting a mortgage. We didn't know anything, until their area manager knocked the door, asking why we had taken out millions of pounds of life insurance policies.

The best advise is to get some advice from a financial adviser (they are regulated now). Perhaps your bank would be a good place to start?

Reply to Mortgage in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock