Discuss Most physical sparkying? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chronyx

What in your experiene is the most physically demanding area of the electrical sector?

I've had a couple of jobs that were physically hard (Helping to wire mansions with huge ceilings, up and down 10 tread steps all day etc)

At the moment it's quiet and I miss being so active.

Pulling large cables and i don't mean 16mm T&E.

the worst experience i ever had was pulling a new 240mm 4c up to the new board under the davy cooper stand at motherwell football club myself! it's the only time in my life so far where i thought i was going to die!Apart from the shootin obviously bit that's another story!

Pulling large cables and i don't mean 16mm T&E.

Try pulling a 4 core 400mm SWA cable a couple of hundred metres, Especially when you then have to turn the cable to get the cores lined up on the final terminations, because there just isn't room to cross the cores....

That's what i would call Real Physical work for any man!!! lol!!!

Try pulling a 4 core 400mm SWA cable a couple of hundred metres, Especially when you then have to turn the cable to get the cores lined up on the final terminations, because there just isn't room to cross the cores....

owe yes, been there done that. its made me knackered just thinking about it!

I had to get 9 stitches on my head from trying to gland and dress a 4x240 swa into a chiller on the roof of a factory.Tight spot.

And before you ask where my helmet was,it was on the ground. Lesson learned.........

agree with sintra. Also, glanding and terminating larger cables ie 95mm2 and above is hard work, and requires thought, technique, and a little strength.

There is an alternative glanding system to the usual brass SWA screw glands. Using a ''Top Hat'' gland, normally used on MV SWA cable terminations. Time taken in glanding operation can be more than halved and with no knuckle scrapping either!! ...lol The finished job looks far better too.

Here's a link to the type of gland that i always use on the bigger multi core SWA cables from say 120mm up.....http://solutions.3m.co.uk/pv_obj_cache/pv_obj_id_88677BDEB4A1198ADA9983ADD99D267176180100

This is not the only manufacturer, there are several, Raychem being one of them and the ones i normally stipulate

For me it would be changing large motors. I once did a 36 hour shift changing a 250HP DC motor. 30 separate lifts with chain blocks to get the old one out and the new in. A few years later we’d got our act together, ripped the roof off and got a 120’ crane to do the donkeywork.

Last edited by a moderator:

It’s at those times that the men get separated from the boys….lol

On a one day rewire thinking that its never going to end

You start feeling like your getting somewhere after a hard graft stint, then it dawns on you that theres still the DB, down ring, down lightss, testing, tidying up etc....

A one day re-wire? Surely not by yourself?! :20:

2 sparks one day rewires were the norm on council 2 and 3 bed rewires in the 70/80s and no, that wasn't surface trunking work. Most council houses were originally provided with chased-in conduit switch drops and socket drops and some with CU conduit drops. There wasn't the amount of testing you need to do today either.

I always hate ripping out a nice conduit install and replacing it with T&E and capping. It just seems like a huge step backwards. But what the client wants...

Reply to Most physical sparkying? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net