Discuss Most reliable RCD brand. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Greetings.

There has been much talk of the unreliability of RCD's lately so I was wondering what are peoples thoughts on the most reliable.

Do you have a favourite brand?

What do you think is the worst brand?

I am hearing quite good things about MK brand but they are quite pricey.

Thanks.

Mk boards are horrid IMO, I used to like Crabtree but most recently they have been blighted with faulty RCD's and RCBO's.

So in my eyes that leaves me with the only option of hager

Anyone tried the Schneider domestic units ? Quite fancy the look of them as really liked Merlin when I was doing industrial and commercial.
And yes, Hager are very reliable. My first choice usually.
I have used the MK CUs before and quite liked them. I found them to be a good rigid case as oppose to the rubbery flimsyness of Hager cases, but a bit pokey on room and the way they were laid out.

Last edited:
Anyone tried the Schneider domestic units ? Quite fancy the look of them as really liked Merlin when I was doing industrial and commercial.
And yes, Hager are very reliable. My first choice usually.
I have used the MK CUs before and quite liked them. I found them to be a good rigid case as oppose to the rubbery flimsyness of Hager cases, but a bit pokey on room and the way they were laid out.

You mean Merlin Gerrin

The Schneider group are re-branding all their ranges under the main company name

And I do like Merlin Gerrin

define unreliable...... most rcd's are prone to an effect known as blinding and can fail to function when they should due to disturbances up and/or downstream, the problem been is most sparkies just fit bog standard rcd's not realising they may be the incorrect type for the job thus when they need to trip they can fail to do so this is more in commercial and industrial installs and unless your domestic property is tapped to same supply as the local office block or industrial unit then it shouldn't affect you , its not usually any fault of the rcd but distorted mains that cause the issues.

Last edited:
Not used the RCBO's, the RCD's to date have been fine, no failures or issues with them.

On the original topic I don't think there is one? Have used and come across failures with MK (far too many failures really! About 20-30% failed on a PIR in factory around 3 year years back, although lack of mechanical testing doesn't help, that's the norm!), Crabtree, Europa, Hager, MEM/Eaton, Square D and so on I have had fails on. The Europa is a heap of junk that trips as and when it wants. The life of an RCD seems all to brief really.

I don't think any of the newer stuff is up to the task. Has anyone been in many houses where the RCD is tested? I know I haven't. The old BS 4293 seems to last a lot longer, I think its mainly the Wylex make I come across with the big twist reset button.

I love hager, had a couple of mk ones bad so switched to hager and would never use anything else

We often use the ProElec ones from CPC which are about 10.50 ish when they are on a deal, not sure how much normally but would expect it to be under 15. We have used these for many years now and regularly stock our stores about 50 at a time and same amount of MCB's and we restock every couple of months, so we do use them a lot. We have never had a dodgy rcbo and they always give good test times. They are soft plastic so forgiving if dropped, look good and do sit squarely in the mains boards. Also compatible with hager/ MK/ Moeller/ Doepke boards and some others too.

Not used the RCBO's, the RCD's to date have been fine, no failures or issues with them.

The Europa is a heap of junk that trips as and when it wants. The life of an RCD seems all to brief really.
Never had any issues with Europa CU boards myself, cracking value for money IMO and they offer technical support on their products for numptys who don’t know how to install the kit correctly J presumably you are cutting the bussbar from the mainswitch first else the RCD will trip... Heap of junk is not fair or true..

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Most reliable RCD brand. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock