Discuss Motion pir light dilemma in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

need more info. is the proposed switch to manually override the PIR?

You can get loads of PIR lights that are just Line and Neutral so its just a PIR light but you won't be able to turn the light on all the time.
I have just Line and Neutral to my front light so its on PIR all the time on a cell , it has no over ride switch indoor s

You can get loads of PIR lights that are just Line and Neutral so its just a PIR light but you won't be able to turn the light on all the time.
Some models have a function that if you turn the wall switch off and then back on immediately, they will remain permanently lit until the wall switch is turned off and left off for several seconds.

Examples would be great
Just Google "motion sensor ceiling light" or similar. Too many options to list here!

Also, once you can arrange permanent live at the light position, you could use a Quinetic module and switch to operate it as well as PIR.

Some models have a function that if you turn the wall switch off and then back on immediately, they will remain permanently lit until the wall switch is turned off and left off for several seconds.
Yes I have used those 'double click' type PIR lights but haven't fitted one in years

You can also now get remote controlled lights which you can play around with the functions that just need a Line and Neutral

Last edited:
Just use a permanent live rather than a switch live?
Your choice depending on what pir light you decide on.

You could leave the switch operational, and leave it on, but it would give you the opportunity to 'signal' to the sensor light if you buy one with with that feature (as post #4)

Or, assuming you don't have permanent L at the fitting, which I guess is implied by your original question, you could
permanently connect the switch wires together after fitting a Quinetic switch module at the light.
and then fit a Quinetic switch by/over where the now surplus light switch was.
That will give you both permanent L and switched L and N at the light fitting to wire to your choice of motion sensor light.

Or go as per post #6, and buy a pir light with a (probably portable hand held) remote control to switch it between permanent on and sensor mode. Then it's your choice whether you leave the switch in circuit permanently switched on, or you link the terminals behind to make it a permanent connection irrespective of the switch position.

Last edited:

Reply to Motion pir light dilemma in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net