Discuss Motor capacitors in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

James

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
I have been given a compressor motor and asked if I can make it work.
It is missing its capacitors, anyone fancy guiding me through specifying the correct ones and how to wire them?

Pretty please.

P.s. it’s a favour for someone, if it was a chargeable job, it would be off to the rewind shop!Motor capacitors CD90AE84-12DA-474F-92C8-50988364E458 - EletriciansForums.netMotor capacitors 587CA685-5430-42CB-A8EC-AC6B11788FEA - EletriciansForums.net

I'm assuming that the manufacturers can't help with data, as that would probably be the most reliable way to get the correct capacitor values etc. I also assume you've looked inside the lid of the terminal box.

The first leap of faith is to decide what configuration of capacitors it wants. I am going to guess with some confidence that it is cap start / cap run, due to being a compressor motor (perhaps the terminal box will give some clues as to whether this is true). Two different manufacturers' data sheets for 2.2kW 2-pole 240V 50Hz CSCR motors suggest 250μF starting (typically 300V minimum AC working) and 50μF running (typically 370V minimum AC working). There won't be much variation as the ideal capacitance depends on voltage, frequency, power and typical winding parameters that are more or less standard.

Then we have to identify the two windings and centrifugal switch leads, assuming it has a switch. Can you sketch what you have, showing the leadout colours, winding resistances, and where the existing tails for the capacitors are connected. Do we think all is as it should be just minus its caps, or is it likely to have been tinkered with and/or have faulty windings?

I think it has been tinkered with by someone trying to make it work.
There is space for 2 large caps in there and the box is moulded with curved pockets to suit.

I will sketch out the lead configuration and post it later.
P.s the lid is missing.

It has taken a while to get back to this, ordered capacitors today, will have a look at making it go round and round tomorrow.

Thanks for your helps so far.

Reply to Motor capacitors in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock