Discuss Motor Control Circuits in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dave0098

Hi everyone, i would like to know if anyone knows of any course that are available for a better understanding of motor control circuits or books which are a good read that can offer some info like fault finding, identifying etc...

would just really like to get a better understanding, dont really get much chance to work on the control side as it seems 9 out of 10 times its the motor which causes the faults.

any help much appreciated.

cheers Dave:cool:

You probably will find that its common that problems are caused by poor motor control design, e.g. incorrect overloads etc, loose terminals on contactors or faulty contactors etc all can lead to the demise of the motor, with all motor failures its essential to identify the cause so not to put the replacement in the same situe. Ive not really found any quality reading about faults on motor controls as this tends to be an on site learning curve to the specific area you work in as 'faults and causes' of motor issues would be alot of reading to say the least to cover the vast possibilties.
I cant personally recommend any particular books so il leave that one open to suggestions but 'newnes' do a good range of imformative reading.

Try to get a copy of practical aspects of industrial control technology by groupe schneider isbn number 2-907314-20-3
It does not cover fault finding as such but give pages of control circuits and is very useful.

If your talking about fault finding on the control circuit, i.e a motor contactor is not "pulling in" then fault finding comes down to your ability to read a panel drawing and your experience. Experience comes down to doing it, not reading about it or looking over someones shoulder.
You could get hold of some panel drawings and maybe get someone to explain the circuitry to you

Try to get a copy of practical aspects of industrial control technology by groupe schneider isbn number 2-907314-20-3
It does not cover fault finding as such but give pages of control circuits and is very useful.

Is this the guide you mean ? If you click on the ''View PDF Files'' button, you'll be able to view the content, and print off the pages you need. Better than dropping 40 euro !

Industrial Control - Automation Solution Guidehttp://www.automation.schneider-electric.com/

what i would like to know is this
On a 660v frequency converter motor control system if you are getting 660 v at the motor termnals and current no where near the tripping current why is the motor tripping out on over current after about 5 seconds once the motor control lever (column control from remote station).
the motor was recently re wound, it drives a small winch, there is no mechanical fault on the winch causing high load.
each winding has beenchecked ok as have the cables to the motor from the frequency converter.
each cable checked with clamp meter and amps all within 2% of normal.

Help please and I willbe eternally greatfull.
Ps had an experienced callenberg electrician look at this problem on site and not ableto solve
zeusdart

skating sparks put this one up Moeller - Welcome to www.wiringmanual.com i used to service big saws at a saw mill had one that the wiring had perished and this book helped me through it , star to delta start up when i first was confronted by it i was wow after reading and looking up through the manuel well not going to say i know everything but it was a help especially when the electronic brakes came into the equasion exallent book

Reply to Motor Control Circuits in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net