Discuss Motor protection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

polo1

-
Arms
Reaction score
Peeps,
I have been asked to run a supply for a single phase, 3.2a extract fan (systemair AW500E4).
Is it a requirement, recommended or just good practice to include thermal overload protection in such a situation?
Thanks.

I don't see your particular model in my catalogue so I can't give specific advice.

If the fan has a built in temperature protector, which from memory is usually denoted as S1 and S2 on smaller Systemair fans, it should be cabled back to the DOL starter and used as a trip.

If the fan is single phase and one of those that's hermetic where the bearings can't be replaced and/or it has non overloading blade characteristics ie backward curved centrif for example then I usually wouldn't include a thermal overload because by the time it trips the fan will already be scrap so it's moot.

If it was 3-phase I'd fit a thermal overload to cover against phase fail and voltage imbalance conditions.

This fan is likely to be under a DoI rather than a DoC therefore it will require integrating into a complete system, in accordance with the manufacturers instructions, if that requires overload protection then it will need that.
If it is being built into machinery then the requirements of the machinery regulations will apply.
If you are providing the supply, then surely you are terminating at an isolator and the fan controls are by others?
If not then you will need to build the controls in accordance with the relevant UK/EU legislation and likely the relevant standards such as EN 60204-1 for the controls, ISO 13849 if any functional safety is required, ISO 13850 if there are emergency stopping systems involved.

It's roughly 0.7kW (done off the top of my head). So above the 0.37kW threshold that BS7671 states a motor doesn't need OL protection.

It will need OL protection, if not already built into the unit.

Apologies, thought current was .32A ! But even at 3.2A would OL protection be necessary if appropriately protected with conventional fuse/circuit breaker ? Would most sparks think of including OL protection ? Rightly or wrongly (appreciate Rob,s post though) I,m afraid I wouldn,t.

Last edited:

Reply to Motor protection in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock