• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Move Outlet in Bathroom with Short Cable in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

snoopede

DIY
Reaction score
I am moving an outlet in my bathroom. The original outlet is where we would like to put a vanity mirror. These outlets are located above the vanity. The faucet is about 6 inches to the right of these photos.

The cable comes from above and is not long enough to reach the new preferred outlet location. I would like to extend the cable without putting in an entirely new one. I have a couple of questions:

->Can I connect another foot of cable in the junction box using wire nuts and put a plate over it?
->Do I need to use a metal junction box or can I use a blue plastic one here?
->Is there a better way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

IMG_1589 - Copy (3).jpg
Above you can see the current location of the outlet / junction box.

IMG_1590 - Copy (2).jpg
The red rectangle above represents where I would like to move the outlet. I also want to rotate it horizontally.

TL;DR
How do I extend a cable by a foot to move an outlet along a wall?
ControlsEngineer
Reaction score
OK the code says (in the US anyway) that anything entering and leaving a box or other device must be accessible. Look in "Definitions" for what the NEC deems accessible. So if I understand correctly you want to splice a foot of wire in the box, put a cover on it and then render it inaccessible by covering it all up with the new mirror? Can't do that legally. Put in a new circuit. Pull the old wire back to the attic as suggested above, (or abandon it) properly mount a box, make your splice and then run the new section of wire to where you want to relocate the outlet. Hope this helps.

Reply to Move Outlet in Bathroom with Short Cable in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical News from Electricians Forums and Friends