Discuss Move Outlet in Bathroom with Short Cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

snoopede

DIY
Reaction score
I am moving an outlet in my bathroom. The original outlet is where we would like to put a vanity mirror. These outlets are located above the vanity. The faucet is about 6 inches to the right of these photos.

The cable comes from above and is not long enough to reach the new preferred outlet location. I would like to extend the cable without putting in an entirely new one. I have a couple of questions:

->Can I connect another foot of cable in the junction box using wire nuts and put a plate over it?
->Do I need to use a metal junction box or can I use a blue plastic one here?
->Is there a better way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

Move Outlet in Bathroom with Short Cable IMG_1589 - Copy (3) - EletriciansForums.net
Above you can see the current location of the outlet / junction box.

Move Outlet in Bathroom with Short Cable IMG_1590 - Copy (2) - EletriciansForums.net
The red rectangle above represents where I would like to move the outlet. I also want to rotate it horizontally.

personally. I'd pull yhe cable back into the attic, joint a suitable length of cable to it, in a box with wagos or wire nuts, cut a new hole in ceiling, then reroute to come straight down the wall, chased in , to the new location.

OK the code says (in the US anyway) that anything entering and leaving a box or other device must be accessible. Look in "Definitions" for what the NEC deems accessible. So if I understand correctly you want to splice a foot of wire in the box, put a cover on it and then render it inaccessible by covering it all up with the new mirror? Can't do that legally. Put in a new circuit. Pull the old wire back to the attic as suggested above, (or abandon it) properly mount a box, make your splice and then run the new section of wire to where you want to relocate the outlet. Hope this helps.

I am moving an outlet in my bathroom. The original outlet is where we would like to put a vanity mirror. These outlets are located above the vanity. The faucet is about 6 inches to the right of these photos.

The cable comes from above and is not long enough to reach the new preferred outlet location. I would like to extend the cable without putting in an entirely new one. I have a couple of questions:

->Can I connect another foot of cable in the junction box using wire nuts and put a plate over it?
->Do I need to use a metal junction box or can I use a blue plastic one here?
->Is there a better way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

View attachment 91059
Above you can see the current location of the outlet / junction box.

View attachment 91060
The red rectangle above represents where I would like to move the outlet. I also want to rotate it horizontally.
Yes what you are wanting to do is legal and if I was you I would use the blue plastic boxes. As stated above you need to install a box in your attic and use enough cable to go from box to box. All splices have to be accessible so you can’t float it in the wall and it needs to be secure

Reply to Move Outlet in Bathroom with Short Cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock