Discuss Moved house into a disaster zone in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

fourtytwo

DIY
Reaction score
Whew makes me wonder if a part P inspection should be part of the house move process!
The house I have moved into is a nightmare, I thought isolating the lethal external wiring would do the trick but today I was stupid enough to start inspecting some suspicious power sockets around the house.........Ohh myyy
The first delight was a mystery spur fuse turned on but what did it power ? well it seemed nothing, on further investigation the spur it fed in 2.5mm disappeared into the wall behind the back box and upon pulling came free with a cut-off end!!
P1170426.JPG
As I continued I kept finding loose screws resulting in wires pulling free from the sockets (not sure about TV antenna in same back box behind blank plate either)
P1170422.JPG
As I progressed along the loose screw brigade things got more serious, here we have a Neutral ring break
P1170437.JPG
And then the worst uncovered so far a high resistance arcing live ring break that has melted the insulation, made contact with the earth and blown it in half resulting in an earth ring break also
P1170430.JPG
P1170431.JPG
P1170432.JPG
Needless to say the damaged socket was replaced. I have many more disasters found and undoubtedly given the quality of what I have found so far more to come. My most serious worry is loose terminals in junction boxes under the floors (there are many spurs with no apparent source) that are now unfortunately covered with wretched laminate flooring over the floorboards.
I will add further horrors for those who can stand it!

That is rough as a badger's gluteus maximus.

It is the sort of thing that cries out for a rewire just because you can't trust any hidden stuff. At least with a RFC you can get an idea if the links are all low-R, but not the many other routes to failure. Any photos of the CU with cover off? (Power off first, obviously!)

That is rough as a badger's gluteus maximus.

It is the sort of thing that cries out for a rewire just because you can't trust any hidden stuff. At least with a RFC you can get an idea if the links are all low-R, but not the many other routes to failure. Any photos of the CU with cover off? (Power off first, obviously!)
Umm what's an RFC, sounds just the job, ring something ?
I did post the CU elsewhere but it's so beautiful (NOT) it deserves a copy, this is when I arrived and first became suspicious when I found a double socket wired to the CU in 6A flex 🙄
P1170365.JPG

Whew makes me wonder if a part P inspection should be part of the house move process!
The house I have moved into is a nightmare, I thought isolating the lethal external wiring would do the trick but today I was stupid enough to start inspecting some suspicious power sockets around the house.........Ohh myyy
The first delight was a mystery spur fuse turned on but what did it power ? well it seemed nothing, on further investigation the spur it fed in 2.5mm disappeared into the wall behind the back box and upon pulling came free with a cut-off end!!
View attachment 99355
As I continued I kept finding loose screws resulting in wires pulling free from the sockets (not sure about TV antenna in same back box behind blank plate either)
View attachment 99356
As I progressed along the loose screw brigade things got more serious, here we have a Neutral ring break
View attachment 99357
And then the worst uncovered so far a high resistance arcing live ring break that has melted the insulation, made contact with the earth and blown it in half resulting in an earth ring break also
View attachment 99358
View attachment 99359
View attachment 99360
Needless to say the damaged socket was replaced. I have many more disasters found and undoubtedly given the quality of what I have found so far more to come. My most serious worry is loose terminals in junction boxes under the floors (there are many spurs with no apparent source) that are now unfortunately covered with wretched laminate flooring over the floorboards.
I will add further horrors for those who can stand it!
When Home Information Packs were originally planned, the idea was that they would include an electrical report. The idea was shot down by landlords and those who made lots of money from the property market (some of them MPs).

Of course it would have been likely implemented badly and be open to abuse, just like the recent Rental inspections have been, but it would have meant that any seller would have had to get an inspection done - for all potential purchasers to see - and there would have been comeback if someone bought the house and it was obviously forged....

Seeing these pictures after the other post, at least it looks like the cabling visible isn't the nasty VIR stuff - more likely 60s-70s, which may have some life in it if properly installed - though a rewire should probably in the not too distant agenda.

Does sound like it needs a proper EICR to work out what can and can't be kept though. There would be no point in putting an RCD on any of that installation without a thorough test as the chances are it would just trip constantly....

(RFC is Ring Final Circuit btw)

An electrical report might be handy if you want to know if the gaff needs an urgent re-wire but even if this is the case the seller is under no obligation to knock money off for electrical repairs or re-wires...

I guess what it does give is the buyer the option to pull out of the purchase on the grounds the house requires thousands spending on a re-wire , new consumer unit etc

In an ideal world a house being put on the open market would come with a fairly recent EICR and Boiler Service Cert etc etc To help assist a potential buyer when it comes to making an offer

Sometimes in life you just need to suck it up and do the repair work yourself , in this case a full proper re-wire

Once its done properly its good for the next 50 years so in the grand scheme its well worth the investment of a full re-wire and ultimately will add some value once you come to sell

Clearly this is an older property so I think it is fair to say that it should be expected that some work will be needed
The buyer has the opportunity to get reports on a number of things during the purchase process although while viewing the property it would be reasonably safe to assume that the electrical installation had problems without the need for an EICR so when making an offer this maybe should have been taken into consideration that a rewire was possibly needed

To be honest I would get the DNO involved to see if they are happy with the fixing of their equipment & their opinion on the earth clamp. An initial visit by an Electrician to carry out a few safety Tests, knowing he will recommend a Rewire if he knows about what you have already posted. He can also quote for the work saving another visit.

To be honest I would get the DNO involved to see if they are happy with the fixing of their equipment & their opinion on the earth clamp. An initial visit by an Electrician to carry out a few safety Tests, knowing he will recommend a Rewire if he knows about what you have already posted. He can also quote for the work saving another visit.
What pictures are you looking at or are you replying to a different thread

Sorry about the multiple threads, to continue this one with a few recent ahmmm discoveries!
First a spur to nowhere with a broken off earth together with a 3 way lighting cable hidden behind a blanking plate, no idea if the other end is connected so chocolate blocked for safety
P1170452.JPG
A spur hidden amongst the boiler pipes in the garage ceiling (nice gaffa tape)
P1170459.JPG
But today's prize goes to doorbell wiring (clear figure 8) inside the CU ☠️
P1170462.JPG
The pic is upside down to get the camera in place, you can see a bell wire coming out the wall on the left & disappearing behind the CU it winds around inside and is finished off with a bit of black pvc tape that fell off when touched. Two other bell wires appear from a hole at the rear of the CU that goes up to the 1st floor, they are twisted together and screwed into the earth bar! Who knows why and until I can get under the floor upstairs (dreaded laminate) I have left them be whilst removing the taped up one.

Reply to Moved house into a disaster zone in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net