Discuss moving a socket 50cm!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Customer wants a socket moved 50cm to the right.

The wall is brick with socket fed from below (floorboards), channelled into wall.

The 3 options I've given are:

1. Blanking plate on current socket and channel across. (cheapest option)
2. Take out cable from wall, under floorboards and channel up. (Best option but carpet has just been laid)
3. Take out cable, use skirting trunking that sits on carpet then channel up to new socket.

Just wanted to get peoples ideas really, see what the norm is as it must be a pretty common job?

Cheers all...

Cheers guys, I know option 2 is the best but its also taking up newly laid carpet, chopping into floorboards, relaying etc. Have given the customer the options, dont suppose there are any other options really?

Present socket sticks out too much (wardrobe slide door going there) whereas a blanking plate is thinner and may be ok, but would still look awful as i have said to her, but you have to give the cheaper options dont you.

Have basically said £35 for blanking plate option and £50 for floorboard option? About right?

personally, i'd leave existing socket there, even if it won't be used, and channel horizontally and fit new socket. blank plates look so naff if on display.

Cheers guys, I know option 2 is the best but its also taking up newly laid carpet, chopping into floorboards, relaying etc. Have given the customer the options, dont suppose there are any other options really?

Present socket sticks out too much (wardrobe slide door going there) whereas a blanking plate is thinner and may be ok, but would still look awful as i have said to her, but you have to give the cheaper options dont you.

Have basically said £35 for blanking plate option and £50 for floorboard option? About right?

personally, i'd leave existing socket there, even if it won't be used, and channel horizontally and fit new socket. blank plates look so naff if on display.

See above Tel!

Use one of these...
LAP 2-Gang Blank Plate Brushed Stainless Steel | screwflix..com
or similar and extend ring cables horizontally to new location.

Cables within Zones! :)

Are there skirting boards?

the BG Nexus sockets and blank plates are quite slim.

Use one of these...
LAP 2-Gang Blank Plate Brushed Stainless Steel | screwflix..com
or similar and extend ring cables horizontally to new location.

Cables within Zones! :)

Are there skirting boards?

Cheers Archy, that looks good and customer may go for that. Yes skirting is down and new carpet will be laid before I can get back. Carpet laying cant be that difficult!

Ended up giving the blanking plate option (decent chrome one) for £38 or under floorboards for £55, they went for the £55...... and I asked for the skirting to be kept up until I carry out the work! :D

Reply to moving a socket 50cm!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock