Discuss Moving a socket up by 30cm in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi peeps, I have been landed a job to move a double socket up by 30cm as the existing surface mounted socket is in the way of the new skirting board.

What are my options?

- Use 30amp terminal block? I will find quite hard to bury the block and the skirting board will be covering it therefore no access to it. I probably need to put RCD protection no doubt.

- Trace back the wire to the next socket and use a new longer wire?

Thank you
Monjoor

grab hold of the 2 wires doughnut and pull up the 300 m2 of cable required, it is very rare indeed to not be able to find a foot of cable, if by some miracle it isn't possible then install a maintenance free joint and extend if rewiring is difficult, I bet you will find cable though :lol:

if you want to do it without any joints and its on a ring, and there isn't enough slack to pull up 30cm then your going to be replacing both the legs, like mdj says mf jb under floorboard and just extend, at least that way you can still get to the jb if ever needed unless laminate is going down, have you seen the job if solid floors may find the legs maybe coming down the wall so nice and simple job, if the job is in oldham and your stuck i can always pop over and have a look for you, i'm in oldham everyday nearly anyway

'Maintenance free' JBs often don't seem to be as 'maintenance free' as the manufacturers would have you believe; you might think you're saving half an hour and a couple of quid by extending a cable, but it'll be a lot more difficult and expensive if and when the JB fails and you end up going back and replacing the cable anyway, by which time the flooring is down.

If you can't pull enough up I would go for finding the next sockets and replacing the cable.

When training in mechanical engineering I called a length a centimetre, spent the next 3 days having to file metal within in 0.02mm by hand when everyone else was on the mills & lathes... Never used centimetre again, now I hate the word!

what are centimetres? is this some american fad to count small change?

My CDT (I think they call it 'resistant materials' or something nowadays) teacher at school didn't recognise centimetres either - it was millimetres, metres, or nothing.
One of the first things we did at college was units of measurement; they didn't seem to mind centimetres but one of the tutor's catchphrases was "it's not 0.5 it's 500 milli..."

What is, or was, a CDT teacher? They were all sir's and miss's that I remember.

And you just move the socket up a foot.

What is, or was, a CDT teacher? They were all sir's and miss's that I remember.
A teacher who teaches children CDT.
CDT (Craft, Design and Technology) encompassed disciplines such as woodwork, metalwork and technical drawing.
All the CDT teachers at my school were male (or 'sirs') while all the cookery and textiles teachers were female (or misses), which wasn't considered 'backward' in those days.

Reply to Moving a socket up by 30cm in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock