Discuss moving bathroom light switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

scott1971

h there,

first post on this site

i want to move my bathroom pull cord switch light,i want to place it outside the bathroom.there is about a 4ft gap between the switch in the bathroom and where i want to place it now.what would be the best way to rewire this as i know there will not be enough cable to reach the new switch.a little more info,brick walls,laminate flooring above and there is also a new false ceiling getting installed in the bathroom.

thanks

scott

call an electrician!

why would i want to do that,the problem is trying t find one that gives seasonable quotes,i have had one already who quoted £20 per switch to change chrome light switches to plain white and i wanted 5 done.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have laminate flooring above the ceiling this is difficult as you would normally have to remove this in order to get to the cable from the light switch and move it, drilling any required joists, etc., because the cable will be inaccessible afterward if you are joining the cable rather than running a new one from the original point then you would need to use maintenance free junctions.
From what you have said so far this job sounds like a major problem to undertake.

If you have laminate flooring above the ceiling this is difficult as you would normally have to remove this in order to get to the cable from the light switch and move it, drilling any required joists, etc., because the cable will be inaccessible afterward if you are joining the cable rather than running a new one from the original point then you would need to use maintenance free junctions.
From what you have said so far this job sounds like a major problem to undertake.

thanks for the reply,thats why asked on this forum,to get a sensible answer

If there's a new false ceiling being installed this will involve replaceing/dropping/moving the bathroom light aswell?

If so then remove switch cable from light fitting and run a new cable from new light fitting to new light switch position. No need for joint boxes at all that way.

OR install new cable to new light switch position and join the other end of the new cable to existing switch cable via a MFGB.

Either way ensure correct colour coding cable sheath is installed for identification. I'd also advise doing a continuity check once work is completed before re-energising the lighting circuit.

the new ceiling is pvc bathroom cladding and there will be 5 downlighters fitted

If you are happy t do the job,crack on

Be advised that any trade will reasonably expect to be paid for doing the job, also the cost of the training required in order that they are capable of doing so in the first instance

You have asked such a basic question regarding the pull cord and also state later that downlights are to be installed

If you are carying out this work yourself,be warned that sometimes taking on work for ourselves, we may not be competent at doing so,it may render it unsafe or even dangerous,it may work, but it also may not comply with regulations

The repurcussions of badly installed electrics are that a fire could occur, or at a worst case someone gets injured or killed

If you are content with those possibilities and still prefer to save on a skilled person carrying out the work,then that is your decision
It seems inappropriate to try and accumalate understanding on a tradesmans forum for the purpose of carrying out this work

It also has implications regarding the law of he land
It may not be widely known,but electrical work in special locations,which includes a bathroom,is notifiable work,there is a need for being registered or to inform the local building control of your intentions

Future House sale and a theoretical large fine are consequeces of flouting that law
It does not seem to be a good decision to disregard these reasons in order to do the work personally, without such thoughts given to the implications of ignoring the requirements

If you are happy t do the job,crack on

Be advised that any trade will reasonably expect to be paid for doing the job, also the cost of the training required in order that they are capable of doing so in the first instance

You have asked such a basic question regarding the pull cord and also state later that downlights are to be installed

If you are carying out this work yourself,be warned that sometimes taking on work for ourselves, we may not be competent at doing so,it may render it unsafe or even dangerous,it may work, but it also may not comply with regulations

The repurcussions of badly installed electrics are that a fire could occur, or at a worst case someone gets injured or killed

If you are content with those possibilities and still prefer to save on a skilled person carrying out the work,then that is your decision
It seems inappropriate to try and accumalate understanding on a tradesmans forum for the purpose of carrying out this work

It also has implications regarding the law of he land
It may not be widely known,but electrical work in special locations,which includes a bathroom,is notifiable work,there is a need for being registered or to inform the local building control of your intentions

Future House sale and a theoretical large fine are consequeces of flouting that law
It does not seem to be a good decision to disregard these reasons in order to do the work personally, without such thoughts given to the implications of ignoring the requirements

thanks for this informative reply,it now means i can make a descision for safety reasons

Hi Scott

I'm not being funny, but if you don't feel confident changing a light switch you shouldn't even think about this. Do you have the right tools to do the job and the right test equipment to make sure it's safe?

Get some quotes. Even the dearest will be less painful than 230v up your arm!

and don't forget that the circuit will have to have RCD protection. are you fitting as fan?

Halogen downlighters in a pvc ceiling. mmmmmmmm. Why is it that every time I have the bathrom lights on I can smell fish?

Honestly Scott, if this work is done wrong then you will be putting yourself and your family at risk. How are you going to test yor work to make sure its safe?

Please find a reasonable, qualified, approved Electrician. Visit ELECSA, NAPPIT or NICEIC's websites and search for an approved electrician in your area.
For what it's worth, I'd hope to change all your switches inside of an hour at £30 + VAT + the switches

Halogen downlighters in a pvc ceiling. mmmmmmmm. Why is it that every time I have the bathrom lights on I can smell fish?

Honestly Scott, if this work is done wrong then you will be putting yourself and your family at risk. How are you going to test yor work to make sure its safe?

Please find a reasonable, qualified, approved Electrician. Visit ELECSA, NAPPIT or NICEIC's websites and search for an approved electrician in your area.
For what it's worth, I'd hope to change all your switches inside of an hour at £30 + VAT + the switches

will be fitting Led lights in the ceiling

Hi Scott

I'm not being funny, but if you don't feel confident changing a light switch you shouldn't even think about this. Do you have the right tools to do the job and the right test equipment to make sure it's safe?

Get some quotes. Even the dearest will be less painful than 230v up your arm!

i feel confident about fitting a new switch,my main concern was that the switch wires would be too short too reach the area where i want to put the new switch.

i feel confident about fitting a new switch,my main concern was that the switch wires would be too short too reach the area where i want to put the new switch.

Are you able to provide the RCD protection that is required nowadays & would you be able to carry out the necessary testing ?

There is a bit more to testing than poking about with a neon screwdriver and wet finger !!!! ;)

why would i want to do that,the problem is trying t find one that gives seasonable quotes,i have had one already who quoted £20 per switch to change chrome light switches to plain white and i wanted 5 done.

Scott, here's a rough guide for you.

Buy a multi function tester (allow aprox £500 for this). Carry out the usual IR tests at 500v L-N, L-E, N-E. Once you are happy with this, carry out your R1+R2 test and Zs to confirm your existing installation is satisfactory.
Ensure your lighting circuit is covered by RCD and carry out the necessary tests required, x1/2, x1, x5 / 180deg etc.

Ensure bonding to gas and water is satisfactory.

If all these tests prove to be successful and you have RCD or RCBO protection to the lighting in your bathroom, your next step is to notify the Local Authority Building Control of your intension. They will then carry out an assessment of the work required, your test equipment and your electrical experience. (Allow aprox £250 for this)

OK, now you’re ready to start.....

Carry out the work in accordance with BS 7671 paying particular attention to bathroom zones, IP65 ratings, loadings, voltage drops etc then design your lighting accordingly.

Carry out the work yourself (remembering accessibility of all connections)

When installation is completed, again carry out all the necessary tests required (IR, R1+R2, Zs, RCD etc) and make a note of them.

Issue an electrical installation certificate and advise building control of completion of work. They will then re-attend and confirm your test results and issue you a certificate to confirm the work has been carried out in accordance with BS 7671.

Please make sure you keep both these certificates in a safe place as when you come to sell the house, your solicitor will need both. Also should any problems arise with your installation, for instance a fire was to happen, you’ll also need to provide these two certificates to your insurance company or your home may not be covered.

Whatever you do, do not pay a time served, fully qualified and insured electrician to carry out the work for you as they are all there just to rip you off.

Hope this helps,
Best regards,
Ponty Massive

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm wondering if you would feel confident about moving your gas cooker yourself if the gas pipe was too short.

If not, why not ?

(a serious question BTW)

I seriously hope your electrocuted

£20 to change 5 switchs and your moaning?, jesus think about the cost of fuel, tax etc.. All overheads he has to pay

You wouldnt walk into a coffee shop and argue the price, so why do people like you think the world owes a favour

Seriously just pay someone competant for your familys sake if not your own

Reply to moving bathroom light switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock