Discuss moving c/u and extending cables. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mikeprobert

I was wondering about the extending of cables in order to move consumer unit. I am being slightly lazy here, by tapping peoples knowledge before trawling the regs..I have got a good reason for being lazy, I am off work with a broken humorus, which before anyone else gets in, isn't funny...:(

Any advice would be appreciated..I am mainly concerned about being able to crimp the cables, inc cpc, or does this go against regs...Thanks for helping an armless guy...Mike

Mike,

Nothing wrong with crimping cables to extend them to new CU position.

However, once all the cables are extended, i would put the crimped sections in an adaptable box for eg, as per regs.

I would also maybe mark on the cert where the location of the box is, if its under a floor.

Also, if you are changing the meter tails, will they be longer than 3 meters?

If so, you will need a switch fuse at the start of the run or within 3 meters.

Good luck and get well soon!

Thanks for the swift reply...I wont be tackling it just yet as my arm has only been plated for six weeks...But planning is full steam ahead....I take it the choc box would be suitable to use,. Can you use the wago/hellerman locking connectors? Boy am I picking brains today....Cheers..

Reply to moving c/u and extending cables. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock