Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss moving c/u and extending cables. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mikeprobert

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I was wondering about the extending of cables in order to move consumer unit. I am being slightly lazy here, by tapping peoples knowledge before trawling the regs..I have got a good reason for being lazy, I am off work with a broken humorus, which before anyone else gets in, isn't funny...:(

Any advice would be appreciated..I am mainly concerned about being able to crimp the cables, inc cpc, or does this go against regs...Thanks for helping an armless guy...Mike

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
S

Spudnik

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mike,

Nothing wrong with crimping cables to extend them to new CU position.

However, once all the cables are extended, i would put the crimped sections in an adaptable box for eg, as per regs.

I would also maybe mark on the cert where the location of the box is, if its under a floor.

Also, if you are changing the meter tails, will they be longer than 3 meters?

If so, you will need a switch fuse at the start of the run or within 3 meters.

Good luck and get well soon!

M

mikeprobert

Thanks for the swift reply...I wont be tackling it just yet as my arm has only been plated for six weeks...But planning is full steam ahead....I take it the choc box would be suitable to use,. Can you use the wago/hellerman locking connectors? Boy am I picking brains today....Cheers..

S

Spudnik

Yep, a lot of people are starting to use Wago's and speak highly of them.

I have yet to try them.

Box wise, if you can keep all the joins 'together' then they can be bunched up and put into something like this:

120 x 80 x 50mm IP56 Moulded Box

M

mikeprobert

Happy days...Thanks for your help.....no doubt I will be picking agin...Cheers..Mike:):D

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers

Reply to moving c/u and extending cables. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom