Discuss Moving CU to the Middle of house. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hope you are all having a good weekend.

I've been asked to quote for a rewire and at the moment the CU is at the side of the house. Because the house is being reconfigured the client wants the CU moving to the middle of the house in a what will be a services cupboard.

I've not had to do something like this before but I'm sure I've seen it done by using 25mm SWA from a 100a fused switch to extend the tails.

Any other thought?

depends on how the new "tails" are to be installed. if not buried in walls <50mm deep, no need for SWA, standard 25mm or 16mm sheathed singles can be used. if over 3m from meter, a switch fuse should be installed.

Couple of recent posts have covered some of the issues involved in this so worth a search...

Switch fuse at the main head is normally a requirement - depending on the load you may be able to go for 80A or even 63A and use smaller than 25mm SWA to make things easier...

Or if they are feeling flush they could get a quote from the DNO to move the main head and meter too.....

Hope you are all having a good weekend.

I've been asked to quote for a rewire and at the moment the CU is at the side of the house. Because the house is being reconfigured the client wants the CU moving to the middle of the house in a what will be a services cupboard.

I've not had to do something like this before but I'm sure I've seen it done by using 25mm SWA from a 100a fused switch to extend the tails.

Any other thought?
You wouldn't be using a 100a fuse in the fused switch. You would be using either an 80A or 63A depending on the size of the fuse in the cut out fuse, as you need some discrimination. You then may be able to use 16mm SWA, dependant on max demand. If it's a TT you'll need to replace the switch in the switch fuse for a 100mA S type RCD to give the SWA fault protection.
@Dartlec has basically said everything I have said... oops!

You wouldn't be using a 100a fuse in the fused switch. You would be using either an 80A or 63A depending on the size of the fuse in the cut out fuse, as you need some discrimination. You then may be able to use 16mm SWA, dependant on max demand. If it's a TT you'll need to replace the switch in the switch fuse for a 100mA S type RCD to give the SWA fault protection.
@Dartlec has basically said everything I have said... oops!

Yeah it is a TT system, so good shout.

Reply to Moving CU to the Middle of house. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock