Discuss Moving DNO/Company Head in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Went to look at a job - basically they've been ripped off by a building firm.

They are planning to convert the front bedroom into a bathroom - trouble is it currently contains the DNO s fuses and the meter etc. the original contarctor told them his sparky was going to move it 6m into the property somehow. I told them this would be pretty dangerous and illegal.

How do they go about getting it moved?

Went to look at a job - basically they've been ripped off by a building firm.

They are planning to convert the front bedroom into a bathroom - trouble is it currently contains the DNO s fuses and the meter etc. the original contarctor told them his sparky was going to move it 6m into the property somehow. I told them this would be pretty dangerous and illegal.

How do they go about getting it moved?

Run a mile !

only DNO can move meters and cut outs - this often takes lots of time and money to do !

if your sparky moves it he will be breaking the law, and if he does move it he has more boll**ks then me as i cringe if i was to think about even moving an old lead cable !!!!

Sorry but I didn't want anyone to get the idea that I was gonna give it a go.

not to worry fella, thats good to know :)

its bad enough watching EDF tap into live submains :) wouldnt want to watch an amatuer at it :S

iv seen a 500A main head short and blow up two metres in front of me ! a time i will never forget and it always reminds me of the danger of just 230/400v :S

It's one for the DNO, but they may well resist the idea of moving the intake and meter further inside the building.

Get them to arrange with the DNO to have an exterior meter box fitted....sometimes it works out cheaper than an internal move as i'm led to believe the DNO's/suppliers prefer exterior boxes now for convenience of thier meter readers.

You say ''Front Bedroom'' ...is this a bungalow or an older house with an overhead supply?? Or is it a relatively modern conversion of an older style house into flats??

If overhead supply this is going to be a hell of a lot easier and cheaper to move it's present position than a paper insulated, lead sheathed (PILS) cable... Or maybe SWA cable, if a somewhat modern conversation type installation...

Moving the head to the otherside of the wall (i.e.outside) could set them back about £1500.00 plus a 6-8 week delay. Then you've got to get new longer tails to the CU too!

I know someone who actually moved one once. Was asked if I wanted to do it, politely declined. Told them to contact the DNO but was told that was to expensive.

Strangely it was a "plumber" who moved who took great pride in taking the michael out of me for refusing to do it. Felt alot better though telling him he could go to jail for what he did though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

As it is a bedroom being converted, I am assuming it is presently larger than a standard bathroom. Any chance a small cupboard, accessible from outside the bathroom could be constructed? Everything can stay where it is that way.

Just had a DNO service head and meter moved from inside wall to external wall by Western Power. No new cable was needed, they did it live and the cost to my customer was £230.

The lay out of the room is such that constructing a seperate access to the meter cupboard would destroy the whole point of the project.

I've been asked by the project manager to find out if there's any way the company head can "be sealed inside a rubber box so that it's safe to have on a bathroom wall" - I've promised to look around on the market but I'm not holding out a great deal of hope!

couple of ways to go about this!!!!
1, stud the wall out so its behind the wall and just have an access panel
2, get it moved for cash by a jointer who does this for a living the property has an M Pan number so its not a problem for them.
3, pay dno £900 to move it legally

if it was me i would do no2

First of all has the work taken place with regards to the bathroom if so then this is a major problem plus this job should always be done first and most of the time the cost puts the customer off who moves the bathroom to another room so is this an option ?

As I have previously posted the cost to have the DNO do it completely legally, with no potential come back, may NOT be as much as people seem to think. Get a meter move pack, speak to the people at the DNO and get it done properly.

Reply to Moving DNO/Company Head in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net