Discuss Moving electricity meters to outside of house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DaveHales

Hi all. Welcome some advice. I am extending house and am moving the electricity meter to the an external wall which happens to be adjacent to a cul-de-sac i.e. path. Aside from being quoted £650 to move the cable and meter Scottish Power have now changed their mind to have the meter facing onto the public highway due to vandalism risk? Is this a valid concern and is the money to move in the ballpark??

generally it is not moving the meter but rather relocating the service cable and head, in my experience they make the prices up and with regards to where you want it, its rather where they will allow you to put it.
money seems reasonable to me, it might be worth getting the actual fitter who is doing the move to put it where you want it for a few of those warrington pounds.

I doubt it, they will only be interested in their cable and equipment. Tails will be down to the customer to provide and install. lol!!

If it's anything like getting your gas meter moved (which is about to happen for me).... Utility company [Wales and West] come out and do the groundworks (£500 ish as I've done the trench digging not them, [so that's £500 for a straight, 6m run of plastic pipe and two terminations]) and fit the new sunken box I need doing, then my Energy supplier has to come out behind them to fit the new meter as it's a different style (another £200ish) and then my own Gas Safe has to reconnect from the new meter back into the house (that bit's not costing me anything as he's a mate and I've put ££££'s of work his way this year!!).

So all in, to move the thing 6m in a straight line, in a trench already dug, it's costing me £700ish and needs three groups of people to coordinate on the same day one after the other or it's going to be very cold that weekend with no gas!

Reply to Moving electricity meters to outside of house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net