Discuss Moving House and taking Wall Lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dzzi

Hello,

I've had a quick look around the forums about this topic and im pretty sure i know "the answers" but i thought i would ask a specific question or 2 and see what you guys thought...

So im moving house soon, i want to take 6 (identical) Wall lights with me, they retail at around £100 and we like them so i feel i want to take them with us. There are also 2 (matching) ceiling lights that i want to take.

This is all documented in the contract etc but I want to do the "right" thing in terms of making good.
With the ceiling lights i think it's relatively easy i.e just replace with a couple of pendants ?

More of a concern is what to do about the wall lights, when we moved in 15 years ago (new build) all the wires were just poking through the walls and had been tapped off, i then fitted the wall lights myself without any bother.

Now im not at all comfortable with leaving the wires like that for the new occupier but i am not sure what to do.
Iv'e considered blanking plates but from what i've read that requires a box to be cut into the wall and to be honest i suspect the buyer will be replacing them with their own wall lights and this will just mean 6 holes in the wall.

Any advice, suggestions etc would be appreciated.

I appreciate im going to need an electrician to do this work but just wanted a wider view on the options.

Thanks

Dave

Thanks Mark, are we allowed to post links ?
I assume you are thinking about a surface mounted Junction Box of some sort and just use that to terminate the wires ?

yeah, just stick a junction box on the end of the cables - its safe enough - and without sounding to shallow, leave it up to the new owners what they do with it.

Hi Dave,
The easiest solution would be to use 5A junction boxes to safely terminate the cables. You would only have to drill a fixing hole or maybe you might be able to use one of the existing fixing holes. You should be able to do this yourself if you managed to fix the wall lights yourself. Wont look pretty but you are only trying to make the wiring safe!!! Dont cut any of the wiring, try and keep it as long as possible for the next installer.

surface mounted? theres no need for anything fancy buddy, just stick a 5a JB on it, and leave it dangling.

That sound's so unproffesional, but the sale has been agreed and leave it to the new owners how they're gonna rectify it. And, if they were to leave the JB's just dangling (however appauling it may look) its safe enough.

Mark & BabylonsBurning... cheers gents id be happy doing that myself just wanted a view on the safety aspect.
There are already 4 holes for each light 2 for the bulbholder/fitting and 2 for the frame of the lights so i am likely to be able to re-use those, i just want to avoid more holes and leave it in a safe state so they can decied what to do...cheers

Hi Dave,
The easiest solution would be to use 5A junction boxes to safely terminate the cables. You would only have to drill a fixing hole or maybe you might be able to use one of the existing fixing holes. You should be able to do this yourself if you managed to fix the wall lights yourself. Wont look pretty but you are only trying to make the wiring safe!!! Dont cut any of the wiring, try and keep it as long as possible for the next installer.

Even thats OTT just leave it dangling, go on live a little lol!

just the 2" ones will do. can't tell what size thet one is from the pic.

It was always regarded as ruff practice, (with some authorizing bodies would score nil point) to leave wall light cables hanging out of the wall with or without choc blocks and tape attached.
Usually the terminal box needed to be secured, accessible and IP2X rated. I don't see that it is a real danger myself but would get a little twitchy if I thought the numpty family were going to be the next occupants.

don't think our builders were the best and to be honest we had them like that for a good 18 months without any issues.
Agree with ackbarthestart on being a little nervous about the incoming family so i may secure and make sure it IP2X rated to err on the side of caution.

If this an actual sale of a house and not a rental property being vacated. I would ask, was it made known to the buyers that these light fittings, (along with anything else your not leaving in place) were NOT part of the sale price. If you didn't, you may find yourself in a sticky position, as i believe any fixtures and fittings not part of the sale, needs to be listed prior to sale, otherwise they become included in the sale price...

Op states it's documented in the contract in post #1

Old Age, and still trying to speed read is my only excuse!! lol!!

welcome to the world of forgetfulness, incontinence pants, failing hearing, failing eyesight, falling out hair, wobbly legs even when sober, OOPS, think i've just described geordie and several other members.

Reply to Moving House and taking Wall Lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net