Discuss Moving Main Fuse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

skay

Hi guys

I am on a job currently where a consumer unit has been extended and moved from one cupboard under the stairs to another cupboard under the stairs to make way for a new toilet.

Now the lady is having the meter and supply moved as well by edf, apparently you cannot have the main fuse under stairs below 4 metres. So the only option is to fit a flush meter box on the outside on external wall. We will have to buy the box chase the box, dig trench, etc. They will charge £2000 + just to cutoff road and chuck cable and meter in.

Now the run from the new meter position outside to the consumer unit under the stairs is approximatly 4 metres.

My questions are:

Can I run 25mm double insulated tails through floorboards for 4 metres? Or does it need to 25mm SWA?

Would I need to fit a 100a Switched isolator in the new meter cupboard? Baring in mind it will be tight for space in there?

Who is insisting that the meter/fuse under the stairs? if it's EDF surely if it's non conforming with the supply regs then the DNO must field the cost.

There are two cupboards under the stairs. The old one with the old consumer unit and old meter is now going to be a toilet. So all the electrical stuff were supposed to be moved from this cupboard under the stairs to the next cupboard under the stairs. So the consumer unit is now in the next cupboard under the stairs. The last thought it would just be a straight forward job for edf to move the meter into the new position. But new regs say they cannot be under the stairs below 4m. Even though most if London is

It's out of my hands she has already paid. It is neither here or there.

All I want to know is do the new tails I run need to be swa? And do I need to fit an isolator for a short 4m run from new meter position

tails over 3m require a switch fuse upstream. if buried in wall <50mm deep, they also need RCD protection. SWA does not need RCD.

tails will be OK< but you still need switch fuse supplying tails.

That's millions of properties in the UK both domestic and commercial with a big problem then.

Especially as most stairs finish at 2.7 metres, so all the CU's would be on the landing. ;-)

As Joe Ninety says though, it's 2 metres headroom rather than meter height.

tails over 3m require a switch fuse upstream. if buried in wall <50mm deep, they also need RCD protection. SWA does not need RCD.

I thought the same and perhaps someone can verify this, as I heard recently that with DNO permission they can be longer without.

She can't have the toilet in the other cupboard as you can't even stand in it.

The previous electricians who are no longer on the job put the consumer unit in this smallcupboard not knowing putting the cutout in here would be a problem.

The funniest part is she hasn't even got a cutout fuse next to her meter at the moment. Just a piro going straight to the meter. Apparently the fuse is located in the house next door. Which is not uncommon in some parts of London

Reply to Moving Main Fuse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock