Discuss Moving neighbours electricity supply cable in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mufasa120

I’m going to build an extension to the rear of my house. I live in a semidetached house and there are about 5 pairs of semidetached homes in a row. Currently the electricity cable runs across the rear of my house and goes to other neighbours. The electricity supply for my property comes from underground. I going to build an extension to the rear of my house, were the electricity cable currently runs.
I have no problem with the cables using my property but I don’t want to cough up a huge cost to reroute electricity cables which I don’t need or use. Is there any way I can avoid paying to have the cables rerouted without cost or at least at a reduced cost.
Should I approach my electrical company who is responsible for the cables is Electricity North West. Not sure if they are approachable or just take every opportunity to make money.
Should I write and say “I am withdrawing the permission for the service connection from my premises to other neighbours” or should I go down the wayleave reroute, not sure if it would apply in my case.
Any advise, feedback or similar experience would be helpful.
Thanks

im afraid the cables will have to be moved. they wont let the cable go under the building. Dont try saying that you want the cables taking off your property, you will get nowhere and make yourself look silly. The cost of moving the cables is the cost you will have to grin and bear, the same as everyone else. Upwards of 800 pounds. Unless you can get someone to do it as a foreigner, ive seen that done, but its illegal and if you get found out, it will be you getting it in the neck, the guy who did it would deny all knowlege

Jim is giving you good advice.
You shouldn't get planning permision unless the cables are moved, which will be at your cost, and you may be required to agree a new wayleave in the new location if cables still run through your property. You can't stop an existing wayleave (see your title deeds). The cable reroute (possibly requiring joints and lengthened) could cost into 4 figures. Your neighbours will be without power whilst the work is being carried out, thus inconvenienced, and may claim expenses, of e.g. contents of freezer. I note you say "Service connection from my property". I am not sure if thats a loop in and out, or two phases out from a three phase cablehead.
Anyone trying to move a live mains supply cable risks death (some of these cables fail if disturbed) and if you instructed someone to do it you are responsible. Interference in any way with an electricity supply can result in prosecution and you can be denied an electricity supply.
To succeed you need a working relationship with ENW as only they can solve your problem, and a chat with a solicitor would be prudent at this stage.

i dont think that they will want that cable running under the extension. It makes sense as it would be very difficult to reach for repair or maintenance

it depends on the type of agreement as to whether it is terminable or not. I would call them and ask to talk to a wayleaves officer. He will advise you accordingly and it will cost you nothing. FYI

What is the difference between a wayleave and an easement?
A wayleave is a terminable licence. It provides rights for an electricity company to install and retain their apparatus; either underground cables or overhead lines across land with annual payments being made to the landowner and occupier. A wayleave will normally contain provision for termination on six or twelve months notice subject to the electricity company’s rights under the Electricity Act 1989. A wayleave does not automatically transfer to a new owner or occupier upon transfer of land.

An easement is an interest in land capable of being registered at the Land Registry. It provides rights to install and retain electricity infrastructure within a specified area or route. The rights for the electricity company to retain their infrastructure in, on, or under the land and for access would normally be held in perpetuity or a specified term of years. A clause providing for the infrastructure to be relocated, or compensation paid where the rights inhibit development, may also be included.

i think if you dig and expose the cable very safly up to your boundry you might find that its probably long enough to be transfered to the next property's boundry without cutting or jointing.

good luck.

Sorry for the delay, in replying. OK the local electricity company (Northern Electricity Utilities) have removed the loop supply from the back of my house on or about the 4 May 2011. The whole job was completed in 3 days. OK it took them longer thank I would like to start the work, but since the supply did not feed my house, I did not have to pay a penny, so it was done for free. Thus the delay in work as it had to go to another department for approval. This delay did have a knock on affect to the building work benign delayed, but it a still a lot cheap if I have to pay the electricity company. I did find out later that the work could have cost me about £1500~£2000. If I was doing it a again, I would get in contact with the electricity company at least 6 months before the work started. Once again thanks for all you support, advice and help.

Sorry for the delay, in replying. OK the local electricity company (Northern Electricity Utilities) have removed the loop supply from the back of my house on or about the 4 May 2011. The whole job was completed in 3 days. OK it took them longer thank I would like to start the work, but since the supply did not feed my house, I did not have to pay a penny, so it was done for free. Thus the delay in work as it had to go to another department for approval. This delay did have a knock on affect to the building work benign delayed, but it a still a lot cheap if I have to pay the electricity company. I did find out later that the work could have cost me about £1500~£2000. If I was doing it a again, I would get in contact with the electricity company at least 6 months before the work started. Once again thanks for all you support, advice and help.

That's great feedback on what happened next!

I did find out later that the work could have cost me about £1500~£2000.

3 days work at DNO rates, ....add another 5000 to those figures and you may be somewhere near what would have been the true cost!! lol!!

Reply to Moving neighbours electricity supply cable in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net