Discuss Moving the consumer unit in a house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, after some guidance please..

I want to move my consumer unit in my rental property, from a downstairs bedroom to the hallway (which is on the other side of the wall), can I just move the CU and leave the main incoming feed where it is in a cupboard? The distance between would be approx 2m as I want to move the CU higher up the wall also. If any cables need lengthening I plan to have them properly soldered and put in a mains compliant JB/housing. Can I just move the CU or do I have to move the incoming supply to the same place also, which I would imagine would make this an expensive job however I want to do it properly so if needs must I will do it. I will have it tested and will put a a new metal housed CU in too. Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks all!

Si

Hello Simon and Welcome to the Forum.
Often the CU can be moved without having to move the supply fuse and meter. But this is definitely not assessable over the internet and any move needs doing by a skilled Electrician. I'm sure there will be folks local to you (on here) that will help if you ask.
Edit - Dave beat me :)

above advice is sound....but to answer your question.... the CU can be moved, leaving the incoming service and meter where it is. generally the installation circuit cables will come down from above, so carefulconsideration as to the siting of the CU ( higher up ) would eliminate the need to extend cables. as said before,take the advice of a competent electrician.

It appears from your OP that you may not be an electrician so the only sensible advice I could give at the moment is to contact a few reputable electricians and get them to visit the property to discuss the options and quote for the work.
Agree with Dave, plus as it's a rental should you not consult with the letting agent before commencing any alterations?

Thanks for your replies everyone,

I’m level 2 City & guilds qualified, so just to put minds at ease I’m not going to do it myself will 100% be getting a fully qualified electrician to do the works then they can sign it off.
Happy to hear I can potentially leave the intake where it is.
Also the property is not currently let as it’s just been acquired so I’ll be doing any remedial works before I have anyone living there, as I want it to be fully signed off before I consider letting it

Agree with Dave, plus as it's a rental should you not consult with the letting agent before commencing any alterations?
Is that an optimistic for the OP contacting the Letting Agent, or the Letting Agent giving a ---- Murdoch?:p:D:rolleyes:
Miss understood the OP looks like he IS the letting Agent, sorry for the confusion Mate.

Last edited:
think what murdoch means is if you diy it, a spark won't take responsibility.but you said you'd get a spark in to work with you. that's fine, but be sure to get him round first to design the mod.
Agree with the above, get an Electrician involved in the planning stage, otherwise no one in their right mind would certify a DIY job, as it will be their name and reputation on the line, far to many people saying"I'll do the work and get a sparky to certify" only the odd sparks would contemplate doing that, nice idea but implausible to say the least.

The way you wrote the OP used the term "I" a lot which I read as you were planning to do this yourself - and then get a spark to test and sign off..

Apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick

I’m with you, sorry I should have been clearer, I’m going to get the electrician to plan and complete the work, would never ask someone to sign it off if it wasn’t there own work I do fire & EL testing in my line of work, and the amount of times people ask you to sign off their testing they’ve apparently done is crazy, as they don’t want to pay for the thorough inspections needed!

Agree Murdoch, it's pretty clear from post #1 that he'll be doing it himself. If he was getting it done by a qualified electrician he'd ask the qualified electrician

Agree Murdoch, it's pretty clear from post #1 that he'll be doing it himself. If he was getting it done by a qualified electrician he'd ask the qualified electrician

Fake news

You’re in fact my good sir, wrong. I just wanted my own information before getting a fully qualified electrician in, but whatever helps you sleep at night

Reply to Moving the consumer unit in a house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net