Discuss Moving the drop higher on mast in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
A tree limb has grown in diameter and is rubbing against the line that comes in from the pole. As you can see in the photo I could move the clamp on my mast higher. This would free the line from contact with the tree. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? (The limb in question is 20 feet from the house and not shown in the photo.)

Attachments

• Moving the drop higher on mast mast - EletriciansForums.net
    mast.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
Who owns the pole and cables?
If they are yours, isolate power, move anywhere you like and turn back on.

If they belong to someone else, ask them to move them.

A tree limb has grown in diameter and is rubbing against the line that comes in from the pole. As you can see in the photo I could move the clamp on my mast higher. This would free the line from contact with the tree. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? (The limb in question is 20 feet from the house and not shown in the photo.)
Is there anyway you can cut the branch. It’s really a power company problem and all you have to do is call them and an engineer will come out to see what you are talking about. They have tree services that they sub out for things like this

Trying to be serious for a moment, a chainsaw is definitely one of those tools I would not use without training and the proper PPE to go with it as I rather like having my limbs attached and blood on the inside.

If you are doing branch trimming I guess you have these sort of things in the USA:

But obviously you have to be able to safely access the region of the tree around the pole top so you can wield it without the risk of falling off a ladder and/or chopping one of the utility cables by mistake. Cutting back the branches is the best option as trying to move the support wire is only a short-term solution.

But really if the utility will do it for free (or small fee) get them in - don't take unnecessary risks.

Trying to be serious for a moment, a chainsaw is definitely one of those tools I would not use without training and the proper PPE to go with it as I rather like having my limbs attached and blood on the inside.

If you are doing branch trimming I guess you have these sort of things in the USA:

But obviously you have to be able to safely access the region of the tree around the pole top so you can wield it without the risk of falling off a ladder and/or chopping one of the utility cables by mistake. Cutting back the branches is the best option as trying to move the support wire is only a short-term solution.

But really if the utility will do it for free (or small fee) get them in - don't take unnecessary risks.
@pc1966 the wire belongs to the POCO and they will do it for free. Have a great day

I do not want to remove the limb. Am I right to worry that the insulation on the line will be damaged by movement due to wind?

Actually, moving the mast clamp might be a longterm solution. A 2" gap between wire and large limb would get me a twenty-year reprieve and by then it will be someone else's problem.

Reply to Moving the drop higher on mast in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock