Discuss Moving to Alarms, CCTV, Door access in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

John Matrix

Hello lads. Just want to ask how much learning is involved with moving into Alarms, CCTV an Door Access. I’ve done a lot of Fire for Protec Fire Detection, both addressable and Conventional, Vespa- Cirrus Pro, a little bit on PA systems etc. I basically have limited installation experience on all of these. But understanding the fault finding, programming, commissioning etc, understanding the kit and panels etc I’m a little lost really. How long does it take to pick all this up? I really fancy moving into it.
Thanks in advance

It depends on the scale of the work, a domestic house alarm is relatively straightforward compared to a fully integrated system on a large commercial.

I made the switch 5 years ago but I would say it took me around the 3 year mark to be confident in most systems of intruder, CCTV and access.

Fire is a different kettle of fish totally. If that's what your moving into its essential that you get the appropriate training. Getting it wrong will put you in the brown stuff big time.

Good IT knowledge is an advantage.

It depends on the scale of the work, a domestic house alarm is relatively straightforward compared to a fully integrated system on a large commercial.

I made the switch 5 years ago but I would say it took me around the 3 year mark to be confident in most systems of intruder, CCTV and access.

Fire is a different kettle of fish totally. If that's what your moving into its essential that you get the appropriate training. Getting it wrong will put you in the brown stuff big time.

Good IT knowledge is an advantage.
I would want to work on commercial and industrial premises really but anything to start with. There are companies out there who are looking for engineers but would they be willing to take me on and let me learn the ropes ?

Companies in this field are always looking. It's just a case if your willing to take a pay cut whilst your learning. Best bet is just contacting them and getting your CV about.

Reply to Moving to Alarms, CCTV, Door access in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net