Discuss Mr Nagy,s earth rod video. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone has used this method with the earth wire in flexi conduit going to a plastic end box flat
on the pavement outside the front door with the earth rod coming up thro centre of the box.
Looks like a trip hazard to me.
Regards,S

TBH it doesn't look the prettiest. Yes there's slight risk of a trip hazard however I'd be more concerned about bored youths kicking the crap out of it.

I'm surprised he got a decent Ra that close to the foundations.

Ideally I would have cut one of those paving slabs and installed a proper inspection pit.

Also there was no evidence of checking for other services which could have ended in tears.

The pavement is not a suitable place for an earth rod installation without the proper inspection chamber... I was also under the impression that you needed council permits to things like this.

He was dissing British vineyards on his annual trip to Austria. Way behind the times, we’re knocking out some good quality plonk now and winning prizes in Europe. Still prefer a good English ale though!

Not a big wine drinker , but when I do it has to be red , dry and the stronger the better....

He was dissing British vineyards on his annual trip to Austria. Way behind the times, we’re knocking out some good quality plonk now and winning prizes in Europe. Still prefer a good English ale though!
Annual? He seems to be there about once a fortnight.

Installing a rod in the pavement would drive the council around here mental... you would have them threatening you with allsorts of enforcement action. in the suburbs you may get away with it but anything listed or city centre forget it.
From a practical point of view getting one in the ground next to foundations can be easier around here as the ground has likely been back filled or broken up at some stage. further away you can hit loads of stone.
i had a house in Oldfield Park recently with a rod in literally touching house wall, Ra of 42 rods can literally be a lottery.

From a practical point of view getting one in the ground next to foundations can be easier around here as the ground has likely been back filled or broken up at some stage. further away you can hit loads of stone.
The problem with back-fill around foundations is the ground may not give suitable conditions for an electrode, coming out a meter would more than likely improve the reading, often significantly.

I did read somewhere the minimum distance for LPS electrodes was 1m from foundations but I can't seem to find the reference now.

It was that close to the wall that the 'brick or something' encountered was likely the brick spread foundation. Try that on a new house and you'd simply strike concrete and go no further!

Especially as he sounds like an extra from Downton Abby.
Bearing in mind all these YT channels are free to view and costing the producer more often than not; here's my tu'penny worth

When I entered the industry as a mature student no-one and I mean no-one large company or small would give me a chance at an apprenticeship so all I had to light the way was youtube. Some videos were instructive, some illustrated the dream. They all served a different purpose and viewed as "boxed set" filled some of the gaps left by a lack experience. Many in here could point out why they would doing something differently - and that's adds even more to the understanding. I still worry about every earth rod going through a drain / pipe / whatever but at-least I know to worry about it.

Reply to Mr Nagy,s earth rod video. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock