Discuss Multi or single trade in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sanke

Hi all
Hope you all had a great Christmas

My main business is plumbing but I would like to get a lot more involved in the electrical side. Just wondered are most members single trade or multi ?

For those that are Multi do you have any complications with credibility being multi trade ?
Thanks

The only multi trading I do is around my own home. I have a dim view of anyone dabbling in electrics so for me to take money for me dabbling would be an ultimate hypocrisy

I understand where you guys are coming from. I have no intentions of dabbling in anything.
i have gas safe & electsa guys that work with me when needed (I will be looking to get Elecsa myself this year) I have been looking at the advertising for 2012 which is why I asked the question. I have sufficient customers to continue with plumbing but to gain more customers/business I need to advertise. Hence do I continue to advertise as both or just electric ?

I can do a bit of joinery work and even a bit of plumbing,but I'm neither of those,like trev would only do it for myself or family,bit different if your charging for it

most good trades people can multi skill to a point usually the ones brought up on building sites as they get to see all trades working and the tricks of the trade, but as the saying goes"jack of all trades ,master of none"

Depends on the type of work you want. One of the guys I went to school with (did his electrical apprenticeship at BREL) offers both a plumbing and heating (gas safe registered as well) and electrical service. On the flip side one of the plumbers I know (again gas safe registered) has a defined scope qual but always uses a sparky for his elec work.

i,m not been funny hear so if it comes across that way ignore.
ask yourself this
,how good a plumber am i.
how long did it take to get to this standard
then think is my sparkying gonna be to the same standard or is it going to take to long to horn my skills while i could be building more on the plumbing side
then u got the extra £600 a year plus tester +certs

Hi mackers
I know where you are coming from ! Financially probably better off concentrating on plumbing. However, I enjoy the electrical more Stuck between the two, what do I do ?
Customers that I have spoken to are ok with me being qualified in both as they know me. However, new customers are perhaps more sceptical

Perhaps a new company or partnership making no connection to the plumbing would be a better way to approach things ?

Mate there are tons of multi disciplinary companies out there. If you can offer both services to a high degree of quality under one roof with qualified people then I'd say you'd be a fool to pass up on an income stream

like trev1 says theres loads out there, my mate does the same pipe monkey and spark and he does really well supose its all about your confidence and know how as a spark! your call mate go with your instinct its usually right and if it don,t work out its only money lol

Interesting question Sanke. I've been self-employed as a general handyman since 2005 and have passed C&G 2381 and 2391 some years ago plus 17th edn update. Had many years experience with electrical/electronic product design.

Recently registered with Elecsa ("A" pass), so I'm in the middle of re-working may website and trying to decide how to pitch it. Like you, I'm wondering whether to present it as two separate businesses, but I think that'll get complicated. At the least, when I re-do my business cards I'll probably go for double sided with electrician on one side and handyman on the other.

Clearly, a new customer wanting serious electrical work done won't be looking for a general handyman and I think that "property maintenance" doesn't emphasise the electrical side enough, but I don't want to give up the variety of work that I do at present. I'm describing myself as "electrician and handyman" as I can't think of a better description for the business.

I'm planning to send out a letter to all my existing customers, explaining my expanded scope on the electrical side but that I'm not giving up on the small plumbing, carpentry, etc, etc.

Good luck Handysparks. I think as long as you can present the right image & do a professional job it would work well.
Many of my customers have "bought me" rather than a plumber/electrician. They want someone they can trust to do a good job or bring in the right people at the right time

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein
Thankfully I see no mention of electrics in there so we can continue to guard our magic from those untrained in it:)

Reply to Multi or single trade in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net