Discuss Multi Plug Socket Saftey in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I am with Lenny on this one. But as the first adaptor thing has a 13a fuse fitted, then there is nothing wrong with what you want to do. The fuse will stop you overloading the circuit, so get plenty of fuses, cos when you have got plugs in all those outlets, then plug in something powerful like a vacuum cleaner you will pop the fuse.

I agree with installing some extra outlets.Even with no faults occuring the 13 amp can be overloaded by a fair whack for a fair amont of time before it gives up the ghost
During this time it may cause excessive heat at the plug in terminals of the extensions, notably when heavy load appliances have been involved

Right extra wall sockets here I come!. So for that I need to turn off the power at the breaker box. Unscrew the nearest wall socket, get the same wire that was used on the original wall socket, twist the new wires into the old wires taking care to wire them according to the correct colors, reattach the original socket to the wall, and run the new wall socket wire along the wall to where I want my new wall socket, wire the new socket up the same as the first and srew to the wall. Turn the breaker box back on and use a piece of wood to switch the new soccket on to test:eek:

Is that about right?.

Last edited by a moderator:
What you are intending to do,is whats termed spurring off an existing for additional sockets
It is not as straight forward as just adding the same wire to the same terminals,

It depends on what is feeding that original,is it a one cable spur,is it two wires of a ring circuit (which needs verifying),is it a one wire radial circuit
There are other things like this to consider, before adding because of potential overloading of the fixed electrics and fault protection of the additions

In a nutshell
You need to find out, what is the supply you have at the original socket and the protection for it, before adding more

Right extra wall sockets here I come!. So for that I need to turn off the power at the breaker box. Unscrew the nearest wall socket, get the same wire that was used on the original wall socket, twist the new wires into the old wires taking care to wire them according to the correct colors, reattach the original socket to the wall, and run the new wall socket wire along the wall to where I want my new wall socket, wire the new socket up the same as the first and srew to the wall. Turn the breaker box back on and use a piece of wood to switch the new soccket on to test:eek:

Is that about right?.

In theory yes but in practice I'm afraid it's not really that simple. Perhaps a few years ago this would be perfectly acceptable and was done widely, even by professional electricians, the only difference between one of them and a DIY'er would be the testing part.

Now it's changed and perhaps slightly for the better but mainly IMO for the worse. You now will have to make sure your additional socket comes into line with the regulations, and though your running surface you still fall under the category of unskilled person and so the socket is needed to be RCD protected. If the existing circuit is RCD protected then you are ok.

You then need to make sure that the socket your spurring off is not already a spur, if it is then you should not add another spur onto it.

My advice is then 1) See if the circuit is RCD protected 2) see if the socket you intend spurring off is not already a spur.

As this I assumme is not a kitchen, bathroom or anytype of special loacation then you have no need to notify this work. You should though still provide a MIEWC for the addition which is where as a DIY'er you do fall foul.

"Turn the breaker box back on and use a piece of wood to switch the new soccket on to test:eek:"

Are you trying to wind us up?

In theory yes but in practice I'm afraid it's not really that simple. Perhaps a few years ago this would be perfectly acceptable and was done widely, even by professional electricians, the only difference between one of them and a DIY'er would be the testing part.

Now it's changed and perhaps slightly for the better but mainly IMO for the worse. You now will have to make sure your additional socket comes into line with the regulations, and though your running surface you still fall under the category of unskilled person and so the socket is needed to be RCD protected. If the existing circuit is RCD protected then you are ok.

You then need to make sure that the socket your spurring off is not already a spur, if it is then you should not add another spur onto it.

My advice is then 1) See if the circuit is RCD protected 2) see if the socket you intend spurring off is not already a spur.

As this I assumme is not a kitchen, bathroom or anytype of special loacation then you have no need to notify this work. You should though still provide a MIEWC for the addition which is where as a DIY'er you do fall foul.

The circuit is RCCB protected is that the same thing?...and I don't know if it's a spur yet. If you don't mind me asking what is MIEWC, I seached on yahoo but couln't find any information, thanks.

Oh and the socket is in a bedroom. I was told that as long as it's not in a kitchen or bathroom I don't need to inform anyone?...was I misinformed, I live in the UK.

That RCCB would I think be a RCD /RCBO as they are not the same thing. So check exactly what it is.

A MIEWC is a "Minor Installation Electrical Work Certiicate" These have to be completed when you do what your hoping to do which is minor works.

An installation of an additional socket outlet to an existing circuit is not notafiable under Part P in a bedroom.

That RCCB would I think be a RCD /RCBO as they are not the same thing. So check exactly what it is.

A MIEWC is a "Minor Installation Electrical Work Certiicate" These have to be completed when you do what your hoping to do which is minor works.

An installation of an additional socket outlet to an existing circuit is not notafiable under Part P in a bedroom.
Thank you.

Hank,if you can install as good as you can play,no problems :)

The socket you intend coming off
Yoiu may,if you wish,feed it or change it to a fused spur

Off the load side of the fused spur,you can have as many outlets as you like
If you cant determine the supply to the original,this would be suitable for multiple low load appliances,you are limited to the 13 amp,so overloading wont be a problem this way

Hank,if you can install as good as you can play,no problems :)

The socket you intend coming off
Yoiu may,if you wish,feed it or change it to a fused spur

Off the load side of the fused spur,you can have as many outlets as you like
If you cant determine the supply to the original,this would be suitable for multiple low load appliances,you are limited to the 13 amp,so overloading wont be a problem this way

For this I fit the fused spur to the wire that was originally supplying power to the existing socket on the wall, from that I can rewire the existing socket, then run the spur off the existing socket as I originally described. Is that corect?...thanks for all this by the way.

Brilliant, I'm quite enjoying this. They're cheap as chips too hey £2.42 at screw fix, bloody bargain!. Cheaper than chips even, those buggers aren't as cheap as they used to be!, why back in my day......

However as stated under Part P and if you are unqualified and not a competent person you should get this work inspected and tested by a qualified competent person to meet the requirements of Part P building regulations despite no requirement for notification for electrical safety reasons. The person inspecting and testing does not need to be part of a competent person scheme but must be qualified in respect of the inspection and testing of an installation
( Approved doc P p12).

Reply to Multi Plug Socket Saftey in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock