Discuss Multi-sockets in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

roverman43

Hello, my first post. Older houses seem to suffer from a lack of sockets when modern life demands more and more, usually for low power items. Is there any reason why a multi- socket strip (4, 6, 8, or even 12 sockets) cannot be used in place of several double sockets. Could it be wired in as a spur or as part of a ring, providing it was correctly fused at 13A?

umm use of flex on a fixed installation....looks naff..
My solution in my late 70s house was to raggle out new socket boxes and knock all the singles into doubles, adding 3 extra doubles where the TV, PC, Xbox etc sits...
Local council uses convertasockets...which IMHO look...naff...though not as bad as the trunking rewires they have been doing recently....(last place I lived had that....right dogs breakfast, blanking plates all over the shop, trunking sockets sticking out from the wall by 3 to 5 inches...yeurch...floorboards also ripped up prior to that and replaced with chipboard...double urgh)

I'd suggest triple sockets but the cost is eye watering...£12 for an mk triple compared to £3ish for an mk double.

If the customer doesn't care about appearance...surface pattress over single socket and then mini trunking between further surface mounted sockets, extending the ring with wagos.

If you want more sockets the best method is to correctly install additional sockets as required, taking due account of the method of wiring.
If you intent to use a modified multisocket strip wired in through a fused connection unit you may as well do the installation of additional sockets or just use the strip as it was intended and plug it in. You could mount it on the wall if you wanted but trying to get one as part of the fixed wiring would be awful.
You would also be limiting yourself to a 13A maximum load whereas having correctly installed sockets would give you more capacity and avoid the risk of overloading.

Hello, my first post. Older houses seem to suffer from a lack of sockets when modern life demands more and more, usually for low power items. Is there any reason why a multi- socket strip (4, 6, 8, or even 12 sockets) cannot be used in place of several double sockets. Could it be wired in as a spur or as part of a ring, providing it was correctly fused at 13A?

Sorry i just cannot believe what i'm reading here!! Surely this thread should be transferred to the DIY section forum!!

Looking under my desk, I've got 2 4 way extensions plugged into a single socket, with one spare way. :)
Amazingly, my house hasn't burnt down yet.

Some reasons would be that it's not designing the circuit properly; they're not designed for fixed wiring, and multiway extensions are intended for setups consisting of several low current drawing appliances such as computers and AV setups. You can easily draw 26A from a double socket (one 13A plug in each socket) but if you try doing that with a multiway extension you'll blow the fuse.

Though double sockets aren't rated at 26A consistent draw....
MK only rate theirs to 19A total draw, much above that causes excessive thermal issues...

Didn't say that Adam....
My suggestion would have been say 3 or 4 double sockets, allowing each appliance to be separately plugged in. Though its academic as its rare to plug in something out with a kitchen that draws the full 13amps....central heating removing a large proportion of the plugged in electrical draw..

Reply to Multi-sockets in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock