Discuss Multifuction & PAT tester & NICEIC or NAPIT in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Markymark981

Hi

Qualified back in April and just passed my PAT testing part and I've a few issues with equipment and membership selections.

Can any recommend the best Multi and PAT Testers to get, I've read many sites and reviews but I cant get a simple "this one is better than that because of this"

Anyone brought a second hand one? I was initially put off this route but I may need to reconsider due to the increasing costs of the initial 2 testers and membership costs

Also having another mare deciding which body to join, NICEIC looks the best but didn't realise how much the membership was!

Thanks Chaps

Mark

Everyone has their own opinions as to which is best so you wont get a definitive answer.
Best way is to use / try a few if possible , see which fits you best.
As for buying second hand , ebay is a buyers dream , recently got a top spec megger worth ÂŁ500 for just ÂŁ160.

Choosing a scheme is a personal choice as well , they all have their pro's and con's , do some research to get all the facts.
NIC is the most recognised with the public but i'd choose Napit as their standards are more in tune with my own work ethic.

Lots to consider - take your time.

see if you can get a megger 1552 or 1553 . if 2nd hand you should get 1 for under ÂŁ300. as for pat tester, i can't say i know that much about the variuos models , as for what bit of pat i do, i use an elderly seaward. does for me, but if you want 1 that downloads results, check out test-meter.co.uk ( forum sponsor).

I would look carefully at the PAT testing lark and then decide if you can make any money at it. I only use it as a loss-leader for other, bigger jobs.

For the multi I would go for the Megger MFT range. Which one will depend on what features you need to have. They are good solid bits of kit.

If you want to go budget then The Metrel EASI isn't too bad.

If you buy of eBAY then expect to at least have the thing recalibrated (ÂŁ50ish) and maybe repaired & calibrated (ÂŁ200 plus)

You can't cut corners on test equipment - there's danger for you and your customers if it lies to you.

Re cert body. Do you really need to join NICEIC? Will the magic six letters get hundreds of punters phoning you up? I doubt it. You'd be better putting an advert in the local parish mag.

All you need is somewhere to notify your jobs to keep you street legal and maybe a good tech help desk. I've been with NAPIT since Part Pee came in and have no complaints.

You have the best advice....try them and see what you like but make sure you find it easy to use up a ladder or in a loft balancing on one leg. Some are quite easy to use on a bench but not so easy to use by yourself.

Hi Mark, take a look at the comparison chart, which will compare the features of different models of tester across the Metrel, Megger, Kewtech and Dilog ranges.

It's completeley impartial as far as what brand is best, but I hope it gives you a better idea as to the functionality different models will offer you and should give you an idea of what instrument you could choose.

Also, depending on how many appliances/what sort of appliances you are going to test, why not have a look at a Kewtech PAT Adaptor? If you're not sure how much PAT business you may have coming in entering the trade, it could be a really cost effective way being able to carry out appliance tests using a multifunction tester. It's universal as far as brand is concerned, so if you choose a Metrel, Megger or Fluke MFT, the Kewtech adaptor will adapt your MFT ino a basic PAT tester.

Good Luck

Thanks everyone for the comments, yes there is a lot to think about...is the general consensus that there is 'no money' in pat testing???

Only thought about niceic as there are the most widely publicised but very expensive imo.

Cheers guys!

Reply to Multifuction & PAT tester & NICEIC or NAPIT in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net